How to clean uninstall NOD32?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by old_surfer, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old_surfer

old_surfer Registered Member

I bought a new system a couple of years ago, after my first one was out of function (completely) because mainly of trojans and hacking attacks.
    Luckily I had saved my data in a memory stick.
    In the previous system I used Norton antivirus and Zone Alarm as firewall, so I bought same for my new system, but from the beginning I had problems with Norton which resulted in a new blackout. My new system had Windows XP and I restored it to the purchase date, then installed NOD32 and Zone Alarm Pro and continued to exist except from the trojan problem which neither NOD32 stopped.
    I was finding them occasionnally through Netscape antispyware check, Adaware or Spybot and erased them but lots of them still exist and provoke many problems to my system, the last one I discovered and erased through Spybot a week ago was System Doctor 2006.
    Now I bought the fresh version of NOD32 (cd-rom in a box) and I think I will dare to clean uninstall the old version and install new version, hoping to a smooth, problem-free installation and function.
    I'm afraid to dare it because maybe existing trojans will destroy this system too, while as I was they let me leave (a half-life that is).
    I sent a support request to Eset on Friday 7th and still wait for their answer.
    I'd be grateful to any advise about clean uninstall, except for the advise to format my system before to install new version, which I often hear but I don't know how to format and cannot have it formatted by others for now, at least.
    Tks

2. old_surfer

Since nobody answered my question I post some additional info.
    I received some elementary clean uninstall instructions from Eset support (comparatively to my ZAP same instructions, they seemed to me elementary, just uninstall the program and erase the Eset folder from Program folders) and now I think I must uninstall and reinstall nod32, ZAP and Spysweeper.
    I have updated Spybot and Adaware and checked my system (thus I found System Doctor 2006 and erased it) and I'm not sure how to proceed.
    Uninstall first all old security programs according to instructions, then cleandisk, defragment, c:/r chkdsk, reboot and then reinstall but to start from which one?
    And reboot again after each new installation or reboot after all three new installations?
    Cannot imagine some other way to proceed even if this one won't be enough secure, as other more radical ways (for instance to search manual removal of System Doctor or run all available online antivirus and antispyware checks before to do anything else, do not seem to me they will help. In the past I've done all that, looking for individual threat removals and runned all cheks, Symantec, Panda and so on, except that the trojans do not let me to run the checks, the procedure overall did not help me finally to avoid them), did not help me before.
    Tks

P.S. Is there some way to find out my cd-rom in a box nod32 version before to install it?

3. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

If you have undetected malware (the collective term for viruses, worms, Trojan horses, rootkits, adware, spyware, riskware, potentially unwanted applications, potentially unsafe applications et cetera) on your computer that is undetected by NOD32, then the prescribed course of action is to download a copy of ESET SysInspector, ESET's tool for enumerating the software components of the operating environment of a computer.

Once run, ESET SysInspector generates a log file that can be examined by an engineer for the presence of malware on a computer.

Please use ESET SysInspector to create a log file and then send it as a file attachment through email to ESET's technical support department at support@eset.sk. Be sure to include a link to this message thread and in the body of the message provide any other information you feel may be relevant to the investigation.

ESET NOD32 Antivirus v3.0 is designed to install cleanly over previous versions of the software, however, it is expected that the operation would be performed in a clean (i.e., free of malware) environment. Since this may not be the case with the computer, I would recommend waiting until you hear back from one of ESET's engineers before proceeding with the installation of the software.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

4. old_surfer

There are two versions, SysInspector 32-bit and SysInspector 32-bit. Which one must I use?
    I have an Intel Pentium 4, CPU 3.00 Ghz 2.92 Ghz, 512 MB RAM p/c with Windows XP home.
    Tks

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

The 32-bit version is for your version of Windows XP - Home edition

6. old_surfer

I'm not sure how to create the log file.
    When I press file>save file to the top right side of the image generated it asks "this file can be considered containing private info. Are you sure you want to save it?" or sort of.
    What exactly do I send that way?
    My computer's whole data?

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Of course not . You have generated the default option - a log for personal usage .

Goto File -> Generare -> Suitable for sending. Then save the log from File -> Save

This way the log file will contain no information considered more or less private , just general stuff .

8. old_surfer

I think we must correspond some more times before I manage to send this log thing.
    Now I have this suitable for sending log saved but I believe it's only about running processes.
    What about the rest of things, network connections, important registry entries etc etc.
    How I can have logs for them too?
    Should I create 8 logs each for every status section?

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

No , you believe wrong . This log file contains all the necessary information about processes , TCP/UDP network connections , autoruns , services , drivers , system and OS information ... Just send this file to ESET as requested by Mr. Goretsky (agoretsky)

10. old_surfer

Ok, I'm doing so right away.
    Tks a lot and hope this will help me and generally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.