How to check DNS 'health'?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Carbonyl, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I've got a simple, stupid question that I'm sorry to clutter the forum with - unfortunately, I don't know the answer, or know who to ask!

Last night for some reason Google and all related services went down for me, and I can verify, most other people using the same ISP in a close area around me. The rest of the web was accessible - it was only Google that gave us problems. This morning, things are working again - But GMail seems very sluggish. Logging in to GMail (via bookmark) seemed okay, if slow, but it gave me weird messages upon logout. I clicked to log out of my account, and got a message about how I had been logged out because someone on another computer had logged into my account - Strangely, I logged back in immediately, and didn't see any unfamiliar IPs in my record log.

My long winded question is, how do I check to ensure my DNS server is still pointing me toward the right Google services? Since I saw the same 'blackout' and slow access across multiple computers (Windows, OS X, and Linux), the only thing I can think of that might be happening is a DNS hijack to point all these various machines to a malicious 'phishing' version of GMail. However, I have no idea how to verify if my DNS server is 'healthy' or 'poisioned'. Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

3. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

4. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

Thank you both very much. These links are extremely helpful! I appreciate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.