How to calculate AV memory usage...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RejZoR, Dec 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'll just ask if i think correctly...
    Memory Usage column in task manager shows both Physical Memory usage and Virtual Memory usage (sum of both together). If i substract VM Usage from Memory Usage i get real RAM usage? Is this correct or not?
    Thx

2. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Wrong. I have about 278MB of free physical RAM after a clean reboot. Right now, I'm running FF and Task Manager. Mem Usage for FF is 66MB. Peak Mem Usage is 69MB. VM Size is 63MB. Task Manager reports about 207MB of available physical memory (confirmed by several other free applications).

For your statement to be valid, the amount of physical RAM used by FF should be 6MB (69-63). Likewise, the available physical memory should be closer to 270MB, rather than the reported 207MB.

If I close FF, then the available physical memory will increase to 268MB.

Those with FF should be able to run this test.

3. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

I'm currently running a RAM hogging application. The application will initially pull about 29MB of Mem Usage. After about one minute, Mem Usage drops to 5MB with occasional spikes back to 30MB. Peak Mem Usage is 40MB. VM Size is 48MB.

I still have about 170MB of unused physical RAM.

Using these results, we can speculate that the Mem Usage and Peak Mem Usage numbers apply to physical RAMs, only. The software writer has much to do with WHEN to release physical RAMs and move them to the VM (pagefile).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.