How to : Burn usable 'hyperlinks' onto RW-DVD?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lindam, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lindam

lindam Registered Member

I have created an Excel Spreadsheet in which I have "hyperlinked' songs, bio's, and lyrics to the relevant text, example : the words Elvis Presley being clicked would bring up a biography on him and also clicking on a word "Play-Me" would open nero media player and play the song, clicking on a song "blue suede shoes" would open the lyrics in Notepad. Of course this all works perfectly fine on my Hard Drive.

Now..........

I burnt everything onto a DVD using Nero software. I didn't think, but I was hoping if I kept them in the same directories it would keep the "hyperlinks" but of course it didn't. Is there ANY way I can do this?

This is what I was thinking, and maybe someone can tell me if it would work or not!
    Lets say I put all the data i.e songs, lyrics etc onto a RW-DVD.
    Then I created an Excel Spreadsheet "hyperlinking" the songs etc. to the RW-DVD and not my HDD. Then once the Excel Spreadsheet was finished burn that onto the same RW-DVD?

2. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

it seems to me that it would be a lot easier to copy all of the files themselfs to the DVD-RW instead of the links, but if you are interested in doing that sort of thing, I've noticed that some of the help files for various programs that you read using internet explorer instead of a word processor do just what you want to do. they link from the help document to files on your HDD or files on the internet.

I have only used this kind of help file, not written them, so this is just a vague guess that it might be what you want.

you might look at this link to (i hope) Microsoft HTML Help:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...tmlhelp/html/hwMicrosoftHTMLHelpDownloads.asp

- HandsOff

Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  3. lindam

lindam Registered Member

Thank you for that help HandsOff, not sure you understand what i did and the results. I DID burn all the files that were linked to the 'hyperlink' onto a DVD but if I click on the hyperlink within the spreadsheet it says the link doesnt exist. So i am not sure what to do next....seems to me that this problem cannot be fixed, maybe someone somewhere needs to write some software for it, or am i the only person that wants to perform this task lol

4. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Probably I missed the boat...

I guess what you meant is that you created the links while the files were residing on your hard drive, so the links point to the hard drive files and not the ones on disk? Or maybe the computer updates the links but cannot update the bookmarks because they are on an optical drive?

I have to admit I have never attempted that, but don't know why it cannot be done. For instance when you create a Word document with links within it, and then move the file onto an optical disk the links will still work. In that case the links are moved with the file as a unit. So would it make a difference if the files were arranged so as to be all in subfolders to the folder with the links (prior to copying to the DVD)? Maybe that way the links are established relative to the index?

It's just a thought, which I cannot test do to the urgent need to get to the beach on time! :D

- Handsoff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.