How to block all internet traffic?

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by cet, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

Is there a way to block all internet traffic? I leave my PC for some time and I would like to stop the internet connection.I can not shut off the router because my daughters use their Laptops.
    Do I have to make a rule to stop all connections or is there a free program to complement this firewall and block all connections?

2. Fad

Fad Registered Member

A button or right click option to temporarily block all could be useful. :)

At the moment (using XP) I rely heavily on disabling the internet connection via the "Local Area Connection" icon on the notification area, and likewise have a quicklaunch shortcut to re-enable it.

3. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes, this is the standard way to do it with Look 'n' Stop.
    Just create a rule with no selection (just fill in rule name and description), and put it at the top of the ruleset.
    With the green checkmark on the left, you can switch easily between the all blocking mode or the Ruleset mode.

Frederic

4. cet

cet Registered Member

Thanks,I made a rule as you suggested and it works.

5. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Seconded, it'd make life easier imho ;-).

6. Seer

Seer Registered Member

I could not agree less. Why "dumbify" L'n'S? It's fine as it is now.

7. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

:)) Well, you would not be obliged to use it, if you'd prefer to manually diy... And btw, in the past, I never felt 8signs dumbified by this handy feature.

8. DrHuge

DrHuge Registered Member

Just download Zone alarm, take it off the start menu with cc cleaner,
    (if you already have a firewall) so it wont start automatically, and use it whenever you need.

9. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi cet

Or without a rule.

Open the Command Prompt and type ipconfig /release then hit enter key to cut [stop] your connection, type exit to close the prompt window.

Then to reconnect the Internet, reopen the Command Prompt type ipconfig /renew hit enter key, type exit when reconnected.

Take Care
    TheQuest.

10. dallas7

dallas7 Guest

1) If you can reach it conveniently, unplug the cable from your computer or the router. Later, plug it back in.
    2) Right click on My Network Places, select properties, right click the appropriate connection, select disable. Later do the same but instead, enable.

Cheers.

11. cet

cet Registered Member

Thanks Quest, this is another easy solution.

12. Sterno

Sterno Registered Member

13. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Hello,

Yesterday evening I noticed that all my bandwith is in use, but I was unable to find/check what app transmiting data over the Internet. So my question: Is there any method to check in LnS what kind of app/software send/download data over the Internet?

PS. I remember that when I used to use OA FW there was a something like network monitor where I was able to see what excatly apps connect right now over the Internet and how many bytes is up/down load by them.

14. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Unfortunately, the only information is the list of connected applications in the Application Filtering tab.
    I know this is not sufficient for what you are asking for.

Regards,

Frederic

15. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Yes it could be not enough but I've discovered that LnS offers also "Connections" button in Log tab where appear all current connections between my computer and Internet, because of that I can investigate through "Remote Port" what kind of connection belongs to which app are connected/connecting to the Internet. There is also useful button "Refresh + IP Names"... so it doesn't look as bad as I thought :)

BTW. Yesterday I simulate many simultaneous connections to check if LnS is really so light as many users tells it is.
    No surprise... with over 165 simultaneous connections CPU usage by LnS was almost 0% as you can see below with no negative impact for the OS:
    looknstop_efect_edit.png

The CPU spikes on the screen are because I pressed often Refresh button.
    W

Thanks Frederic for this small but powerful firewall, good job :thumb:

Regards,
    Creer

16. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes, you are right, this window could help in that matter. It works only for TCP connections, and only when the TCP SPF is enabled.
    Is it a graphic just showing stats related to Look 'n' Stop process ?
    If it is, I'm not sure it is a good way to see the impact, since the filtering is done by the drivers and not by the application itself...
    You can even exit the application and still have the filtering active (if the persistent options are selected in the advanced options list).
    Thanks for your support :)

Frederic

17. Creer

Creer Registered Member

BTW. What does S/C# mean in TCP Connection Status? I have few entries with S# and C#. What is S and C here?
    Yes that screen shows stats related to looknstop.exe process - I did that test because this is how many people rating resource usage by different softwares. Look 'n' Stop is even lighter (as you mentioned) if we close GUI of LnS - exit looknstop.exe process - of course if we before ticked 2 additional boxes in Advanced options:
    lns_adv_opt.png

but probably not many users do it (exit app), I don't :)
    I forgot mention that LnS takes also very small amount of CPU Time and of course RAM... it reminds me old, good and unfortunately not supported Kerio 2.1.5 :)

18. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

This is to identify Server and Client connections.

Frederic

19. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Thanks, got it now :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.