How to be sure I'm free of trojans and their effects

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by clouseau1000, Apr 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clouseau1000

clouseau1000 Registered Member

A couple of days ago Norton began to act strangely with multiple warning boxes appearing one after another on the desktop and reported that I had been infected with a trojan which involved the file taskdir.dll - I can't remember exactly what the name of the trojan was. I went into safe mode and deleted the Taskdir.dll file. I switched to Panda software and in a scan this reported that I had the Alanchum and Gagar trojans. Panda deleted or dealt with them in some way. Since then I have used a number of web scanners to recheck my system for trojans and other problems and have no reports of any problems on my system. I have now switched to McAfee and Trojan Hunter along with Ad Aware and Spybot (Ad Aware and Spybot plus Norton Internet Security 2006 were running when I got the trojans).

What I am anxious to know is whether my machine is really clean now or not. I'd be really grateful for some advice on how I can check this. Thanks.

2. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

If you really want to make sure, you could always post an hijackthis log, so it can be examined by an expert. :cool:
    See here for more information on sites who do examine these logs.
    Also be sure to read the instructions on their site prior to posting an HJT-log.

Hope that helps. ;)

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  3. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Probably worth doing the scans with A2 and Ewido too

4. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Also, you can install and scan with ClamWin anti-virus, it can find some trojans that others could not. Its an on-demand scanner only, it's free. Maybe it's scans very slow compared to others. :cool:

5. clouseau1000

Thanks. Ewido and A squared just found a couple of tracking cookies. Is there a point at which I can say my pc is clean or do I need to exhaust all the scans available?

I've posted Ewido HijackThis logs to Tom Coyote so if I get an ok from them I think maybe that's that.

6. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

While Ewido's log gives something, it would be better to post an HiJackThis log of your PC.
    They will be able to tell you if your PC is clean or not. :D

7. clouseau1000

...yes, I missed out an "and" between "Ewido" and "HijackThis" in my previous post. Thanks.

8. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

My pleasure clouseau1000. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.