How to be a HJT guru?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by NanDog, Mar 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

Mods, if this is not the right forum in which to post this question, please move it.

But how did all the most helpful folk here get their HJT knowledge? Did you all go through the Tom Coyote Classroom stuff?

If so, what is it like? How long does it take? Do you need to be an advanced user? Do you get tested? Can a computer security semi-noob sign on and pass? In other words: "What's it all abouto_O"

I'd like to learn more about security and how to help others and that's why I ask the question. TIA! :cool:

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Last edited: Apr 19, 2004
  3. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

Yes, I've read that. I'd just like some personal or anecdotal information about what it was like. How intensive is it? How many hours? I guess I just wanna know if I'm up to it and capable of passing the course! Thanks! *puppy*

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

One way to find out if you are up to it. ;) Give it a try.

5. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

Wow, Occam's Razor hits Internet Security! :D

Edit: OK, for those that don't know, Occam's Razor is a philosophical principle that states that the simplest of competing theories is best! YMMV! *puppy*

6. Nick

Nick Registered Member

There is also Boot Camp at spywareinfo.

I'm doing it and it's not that hard. Most of the hard work is done for you. Most baddies have been identified. You just look stuff up and see whether it is a good one or not. There is some skill involved, but it's really not that hard. The more you do it, the easier it gets.

7. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi NanDog,

You can also check out the BootCamp at SpywareInfo: http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32637
    There you start out as a Helper Trainee. Then when you think you are ready, you write a test. :D If you pass the test, then you are advanced to Helper and are expected to help out in the forum directing members to basic information but not taking on difficult logs. After a time spent as Helper, it is then decided by the Admins and Mods at SWI, if you are ready to become a Trusted Advisor there. The ultimate level would be Expert. (although reaching Trusted Advisor does take some time, and Expert level, even more time).

It is very interesting for sure!

Regards,

snap

link repaired==bigc

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2004
  8. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

LOL Nick beat me to it. ;)

9. subratam

subratam Registered Member

Lol...
    a question that was once one of mine too...
    Most have been said.. just to add...
    I am in both Tomcoyote Classroom and SpywareInfro BootCamp.
    Let me say how I went about and How did it all go.
    I was giving helps here at wilders to the logs at hijack forum. Pieter(My friend, teacher..what NOT) told me if I really want to be in big league helping peoples I should try Bootcamp(the Classroom was OFF then as cause of Dos attack)
    I joined there as helper trainee... just visit here http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32601&hl= and give a reply to the thread that you want to join in. You start off from basics and I tell you, you get lots of infos, tricks and tips in there. If you think you are ready go for the exam http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34225 , give it and if all OK, you go to helper league. I am at present helper and its some road ahead to trusted advisor and expert..
    May I take this opportunity to say Unzy is now part of the Expert team :)
    Thats how it all goes.
    Do join ClassRoom also , and its NOT anything to bell the cat, but they need some verifications to enroll you.
    Happy Studying... See you @ whichever place you want to be :D

10. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

Thanks all! I think I'll sign up this coming autumn. Can't really do it now as it's starting to get to be my busy season at work. I'm a marina manager and the late spring/summer/early fall means too many hours at work and not enough time at home! Maybe this coming October I'll enroll in the classes. :cool:

11. r00ted

r00ted Registered Member

I consider myself a "HJT" guru...lol. But I'm self-taught :p No classes for me. It's kinda simple really. When I scan a HJT or Startuplist log, all I do is google search for all of the file names mentioned, and see what turns up. Often time It will link to some of the good "Startup Lists" on the net, or even a message board forum (usually ComputerCops I thinK? AdAware.Net tech support, or sometimes TechOntheNet) linking to someone having the same problem with that particular file ;)

12. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

No offense intended - but it's far from simple at all.

Nowadays, this is very insufficient. Bottom line: those classes do exists for very good reasons. It's for good reasons we don't allow anyone to jump in to advice on our HJT forum - we have seen devastating results coming from that.

regards.

paul

13. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Now that this thread has progressed to this point, I would like to ask if there is any possibility that a training camp will ever be started here?
    Reason I ask is simple. I would love to be able to enhance my knowledge of spyware removal and help more people. I haven't been able to stay logged in at SpywareInfo since they came back on line, no matter what I try. I do not have time for another forum, so Tom Coyote's site is not an option for me. This forum is my only exception to the rule. I make a point of finding a way to read everything here.
    Currently, I will help someone with a log at MTM'S site and at the Spyblocker forums, but only if I feel that I can do so, confidently. I recommend this site to the majority of the people asking for help.
    I fully understand the reasoning behind the recent rule change here and am in total agreement with the policy. I also understand, no matter what the reason, if you don't want to establish a classroom here. But I don't see any harm in asking. I am sure there are other people that would be interested, and with the proper training, could help to provide a valuable service here. Unfortunately, unless some enforceable laws are put in place and actually enforced, I can't see this problem going away anytime soon. If ever the phrase about money being the root of all evil applies, this has to be a candidate.
    Anyway, this is my reasoning, and henceforth, the question; Will there ever be a classroom established here at the Wilders Security Forums?
    Thanks for your time.

14. Paul Wilders

Vet,

For the moment: it's under discussion. Be assured you will be informed as soon as we've come to a consensus ;)

regards.

paul

15. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Safe to say that V-V is not the only one interested. Once I get a couple of things out of the way, I suspect I'd jump into it with both feet. The other sites are fine, of course, and I visit on occasion, but they're not 'home' like this is.

16. Vietnam Vet

I appreciate taking the time to consider the possibility, Paul, and everyone else that will be involved in the decision making process. Thank you.

17. Paul Wilders

Our pleasure, Vet ;) We'll keep you posted.

regards.

paul

18. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I would be interested in this also. I've thought about Tom Coyote's forum but I've been a member here for some time and would prefer to take classes here if this is implemented and I have the time. Thanks.

19. Paul Wilders

We have discussed this in the meanwhile. As it is, there are far too less good teachers available to do the job - and having a good and 'big' staff is a must for starters. Please don't point at Pieter and Derek for example: they are far too busy helping infected people out and finding solutions for a stream of new nasties. People can only do so much in the spare time they have available.

In case we would start off such a class room, it would only happen in case all conditions set would be a certainty. Since this isn't the case we have decided against it - at least for the time being. In case this changes for the better in the future we will reconsider this decision.

Bottom line: we will only start up something in case we are convinced all conditions are in place to do so. In our opinion that's the only way to go.

regards.

paul

20. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I seen this post but never got a chance to reading it. Now that I did. I'm on my way over to the boot camp to check it out. I been wondering how some people know how to read the HJT list. Now I know. :)

21. Nick

Nick Registered Member

Since Paul has said that there are no plans for a training program here, at least for now, Boot Camp is the best choice if you want to learn. You can learn at your own pace and there are many, many helpful threads and people to help you. There is great need at SWI and there are still too many logs that go unanswered because there are not enough people over there. Then, if you really want to help here at Wilders, you can use your experience at Spywareinfo to get the Spyware Fighter status here. I can't guarentee that, but it helped me get it, along with posting at some other sites as well.

Anyone who has any desire to help out should post a reply in the following link. Note you have to be a member at Spywareinfo to do it.

http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32637

22. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Nick I already took the first step over at SWI and became a helper trainee. :) I have learned alot just in a fews days.

23. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

Wow! I haven't checked back in here in a week or two due to my work but, man, there's lots of great information here about how to be trained in reading HJT logs! Thanks all you Wilder's folks! I remain very, very interested in becoming more versed in interpreting those logs, both for my own edification and for helping out users who get slammed by all the sh** that exists out there! Thanks so much for all the great posts! Vaya con Dios! :cool:

24. Vietnam Vet

Hi Paul,

Thanks for updating us on the training camp scenario here at this site. Must apologise for the lateness of my reply, as I have been very busy and just haven't had much time for the 'net the last couple of weeks.

While I am disappointed, I must say that I again have to agree with your decision. To try to run an effective training camp with anything less than a full strength approach would no doubt have a less than satisfactory outcome.

Best wishes,
    VV

25. Paul Wilders

Hi VV,

That's it in a nutshell ;)

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.