How to backup "correctly" ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Backuper, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Backuper

Backuper Registered Member

hello,
    I am new to this Forum and have a Question about the correct way to do a full Backup of my system Disk.
    I have XP SP 2 running, with actual Patches & Fixes installed and i use the current Version of TI.
    My first Backup sessions have been done with the booted system, using the Secure Zone on an external USB-Drive. As I read, this is not recommended to do, it may cause Trouble when trying to restore from the ext. Drive - The Secure Zone should only be on the System Disk.
    Nevertheless I have done several incremental Backups in this Way, and didn´t try to restore some of them until now, so I can´t tell if it would work or not.
    But the Question I now have is about this:
    Is it better to generally do Backups only from the non-booted System Disk, by using the Linux Rescue Disc or is it better to do so from the booted System, using the installed regular Version of true Image?
    I ask this because in the Owner´s Manual there is no hint (or am i blind?) how to deal with this Point - there are only several hints which lead me to the opinion that the System is normally booted when doing Backups.
    On the other hand, the System Admin at my Work said it should be done only with the non-booted Disc to avoid File corruption while trying to restore...
    ...so what is the correct way ?
    Greetings,
    Ben

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Both ways work ... but on some systems running True Image from within Windows there are problems because of some peculiarity of the system. So to avoid conflicts the bootable Rescue cd is the way around this and this is how I use True Image - always from the cd.

But if it works for you from within Windows then by all means do it that way. Of course you don't know if it has worked unless you have successfully restored one of those backups. Do not rely on a successful validation.

And you also need to know that the Rescue cd will see your external drive where you have your backups. So be sure to check that.

3. Backuper

Thanks for your Answer.:)
    In Fact i have already done a "non-booted" Backup, but my old System needs 5 Hours for this to finish. The Backup had about 6.50 GB in size.
    Compared with the booted System there were about 40 Minutes for the 1st Backup and it had about 2.5 GB more in size...~8 GB.
    The Problem seems to be a non-working USB 2-Drive, so i must use the older USB1-Connection...a Night Job:shifty:
    But if this is the Way it should be done i´ll do it like that!
    Greets,
    Ben

4. Backuper

Some positive Feedback for my ATI Version 10:
    Yesterday Evening I was confronted with a crashed System ; after booting it stopped with my Desktop-Background and the Mouse Cursor. No Explorer, no Chance to change something. I believe this was caused by a Program named "Sweepi", a cleaning Tool.
    Anyway, after a try via XP´s Repair Option it seemed to be fixed, but i needed to reinstall alternate Audio Drivers, so the System then needed a Reboot...
    ...and same Problem as above...again.
    time for a Backup Playback!
    It took 6 Hours and was started at 23:00 PM, finished around 5 AM...
    ...and everything works fine!
    when playing back i used the last incremental Backup of the last Series which all were built from the ATI Rescue Disc, non-booted System!
    Nice, it REALLY works!
    I think ATI V11 can wait, until everything is cool with this new Version!
    for now i´ll keep on using this Version
    Greets,
    Ben

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.