How to backup and recover my computer using Acronis True Image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by nagaya, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nagaya

nagaya Registered Member

I have recently purchased Acronis True Image 10.0 Home.

I am quite new to this software and have a question.

I wanted to try how True Image backups the data and how efficiently restores it back. For test run, I made a backup of a folder having some jpeg files.

I will name the Original folder as "A" and Backup folder as "B".

After taking up the backup I went back to "A" added a couple of JPEG files and deleted one file which existed before.

Now I started True Image and recovered my data from "B" to "A".

After the recovery, the file which I deleted from the "A" came back BUT the couple of JPEG files which I added after taking the backup were also present.

Now suppose I make a backup copy of my entire system (My computer) and some virus come in my system and I want to restore the system in a healthy state in which it was earlier, I wont be able to do it. Because the virus which will be a new entry in the system will continue to live (like the couple of JPEG files added in the folder "A") and only the files which were backed up will be restored.

My question is, how can I make a backup of my computer, so if my computer is infected with a virus, I can use Acronis recover my computer in healthy state it was and without the new entries added by any virus.

Any help is appreciated.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I don't ever use Acronis True Image to backup merely files and folders so I don't know why you found what you did. But I have seen someone else say the same thing.
    As for your other concern, backing up the entire drive, True Image will restore whatever you backup, because during the Recovery (as TI calls the restore), the destination drive will be wiped clean before the restore starts. So if you have a backup made before the virus, the restored drive will be okay.

3. nagaya

nagaya Registered Member

@DwnNdrty
    Thanks for your reply.

I tried to copy the files and folders just to test it the recovery will bring my original file as it is and will it remove any newly added files.

Just a test run to see if in the same way it can bring me back my computer in "Original state" if attacked by a virus.

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

My guides (listed below) will show you how to create the backup and then to restore your backup. The term is imaging your entire system. This recovery will enable you to replace the infected with the full disk backup previously created.

Your system cannot be recovered using the Files and Folders option. Check the guides.

5. nagaya

nagaya Registered Member

@ GroverH
    Thanks you very much Sir/ Madam. I really appreciate your help.

6. nagaya

nagaya Registered Member

@ GroverH

Thanks I checked your guides. They are very simple and easy to understand. Thanks very much.

Now I have a question.

My laptop has 160 GB hard disk and I dont have any external hard disk.

I have 2 partitions on my laptop's hard drive. C: and D:
    I make a backup of my C: (which stores all my operating system details), I store them on D: (A full backup copy of C: )

Then suppose something bad happens to my C: drive and I want to recover it back from the backup image stored on D:

I start the recovery console and here you mentioned that it will format/ remove all the partitioned drives. So what happens to the Image of C: stored on D:? Will it also remove the files stored on D:?

Unless I have the image of my C: on D:, I wont be able to get the system back right?

Please help.

7. DwnNdrty

You will also lose what is on D. It really is better to invest in an external drive. It will worth it in the long run.

8. nagaya

nagaya Registered Member

Hmm...Getting a new hard disk is one good option!
    or
    Can I take my backup on DVDs? Will it be possible to revive the data back from them?

9. nagaya

nagaya Registered Member

Sorry for my desperate posts. Just trying to see a solution.

Can I use the ACRONIS Secure Zone to backup by C: and stop worrying that when I do a backup as system store it will clean out the Secure Zone also.

10. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

1. If you have a mechanical problem with your drive, you will lose any backups stored on D Drive.

2. If you have a non-mechanical problem, such a a virus or software isssue, you can restore the individual Drive C and utilize the backups stored on Drive D. Drive D would be untouched.

3. Use of the Secure zone on your single drive presents the same issues as item 1.

4. Check the "Usefule Forum links" in my signature and research the link on Secure zone and Startup Mgr.

5. External drive recommended.

6. If you choose the spanning options during backups, the files can be split to CD/dvd sized chucks and can then be copied from the hard drive to the media. Backups direct to media very troublesome. Use of this media is used by many but many have difficulty. I personally would not consider this option as opposed to having an external drive,

11. DwnNdrty

Agreed with Grover about not using the direct backup to optical media feature.

12. nagaya

nagaya Registered Member

Thanks very much for the replies. Great help to me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.