How to backup a HD to a slightly smaller one?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by mmo, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmo

mmo Registered Member

Hi, I am trying to backup my laptop's system HD (SSD) to its predecesssor HD (a classical HD) such that the backup HD would be bootable (just in case...).

The old HD is slightly smaller (500GB vs. 600GB) than the new SSD, but since the new one still has ~150GB free space, the content should still fit onto the old HD.

However, when I try to do a Copy Hard Disk with the option to resize partitions proportionally (because otherwise they wouldn't fit), then I get an error stating "Operation failed. Invalid partition data - partition control blocks information incompatible".
    If I untick that checkbox, only the first partition is copied.

The entire HD has three partitions: the hidden windows recovery partition (~1GB), the actual Windows or system partition (~540GB) and a small "Lenovo_Recovery" partition (~12GB) that contains some system restore utility (which I never used so far nor do I intend to ever use it, so I even wouldn't mind, if it got lost).

How can I backup that HD? Can I only copy the individual partitions one at a time?

M.

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

If the target HD is smaller you can't clone to it.

Best to image the partitions you want , then restore them to smaller HD.

Paragon will make necessary adjustments so you can boot after restoring the images.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.