How to Back Up on Shutdown?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rraisley, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rraisley

rraisley Registered Member

I've been using TIH for two years now, and just upgraded from TIH 11 to TIH 2009 for one feature. According to the New features page:

I can find out how to select to backup when the system starts, or user logs in. But how do I set it to run on system shutdown, which is what I want to do? This would/should automatically run when I go to turn my computer off at night, run the backup, then turn the computer off. It can do this, can't it?

2. lesterf1020

lesterf1020 Registered Member

Yes ATI 2009 can do this. I do it all the time. The option is found in the same place as the run on user log in/logoff.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  3. rraisley

Boy, I'm not seeing that at all. Looking at the Backup Wizard, Scheduling tab, under Upon Event, I can choose to run the backup on System startup, or User logon. Nothing on System shutdown or user logoff. I also see no option anywhere to shut down the computer after completion (although I was sure I saw it /somewhere/).

In addition, today at least, I cannot Edit any of my Backup Tasks. I click on a task, and neither Right-Click, Edit; or using the Edit button at the top, does anything. Again, I thought it did before.

Oh, and is ATI 2009 supposed to take 5 full minutes to start up??

4. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

For the long startup you can try to disable a service: Click

5. rraisley

Okay, this is a bit disturbing. I purchased the ATI 2009 backup at home over the weekend, installed it on my Vista Ultimate PC, and get the problems above. No way to backup upon shutdown, ATI takes 5-6 minutes to start, etc. Today, I purchased, downloaded and installed ATI 2009 on my work PC, a Windows XP Pro unit, and guess what? The options to run a System shutdown and User logoff ARE available. But those are NOT on my home PC with, supposedly, the same software. Oh, and ATI takes seconds to start up here, not 5-6 minutes!

Is ATI really compatible with Vista?? Are some features left off with Vista? Do I need to make changes to my Vista PC (other than installing XP) to get ATI to work properly??

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rraisley,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

We are aware of the issue, our Development Team works on it. The next build will probably eliminate this issue. You can receive Acronis' releases and special promotions information if you sign up at our web site http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/company/newsletter.html

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

7. rraisley

Thanks, Dmitry. Good to know it's not only my system, and that there will be a fix.

Another question, though: I'm having huge problems with ATI 2009 on my work XP computers (posted elsewhere), with deletion of files. Yet I haven't seen this (or just not noticed it) on my Vista PC. Do you know if this problem affects Vista, too (in which case I'd want to be very careful about what I back up), or only XP?

8. Acronis Support

Hello rraisley,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Can you please download the latest build of Acronis True Image Home 2009 (9709) from your account (My Account -> Registered Products) and test it first.

I’m sure you will receive reply to any post concerning Acronis software in this forum. You can also contact Acronis support and submit technical request using this link or contact us via Live Chat and ask any technical/presale question.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

9. rraisley

I've downloaded and installed the new update. Unfortunately, the choices to back up when logging off or when shutting down are still not available. Were they supposed to be fixed in this update?

10. Acronis Support

Hello rraisley,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

You can perform the desired operation in the following way:

You should manage a new scheduled task or edit the current one. Please set backup options manually, select Pre/Post commands -> Use commands -> Select After backup process box -> Type the following:

Command: SHUTDOWN
    Arguments: -T 0 -S

There should be a space gap before the first symbol. There should be a space gap between T and zero, also between zero and "-".

You should start the task, after the operation is completed the computer will shut down.

Thank you.

--

Oleg Lee

11. rraisley

Thanks, Oleg, but that doesn't do what I want. I want the backup process to begin when I elect to shut down the computer, automatically. After it runs, the computer would shut down. But with your method, you have to manually start the backup, rather than having it occur automatically.

I do something similar now: Start the backup, and check the box to shut down the computer when the backup is complete. But then I forget to do the backup, and it doesn't get done. Starting it On Shutdown (like the instructions state it should do), would do that. Suprisingly, that option (along with start on Log Off) IS available using the same version software on my WinXP PC, but not my Vista PC. :-(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.