How to Back Up like this....

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pacha462, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pacha462

pacha462 Registered Member

Hi, it's probably just me but I find the help notes a little er.. unhelpful in some places with Home 10, so I would like to ask any of you if you could tell me how I back up under this scenario.

I have a PC with 2 HD's. The slave has 300gb which I have already backed up as an image to an external drive.

I have since deleted work from my slave because I was running out of room. I have also created new work on my slave HD which I now want to back up.

How to I now back up to my external HD which has both the work that I deleted because of space issues on my slave HD and back up the new work created since on my slave HD?

I hope that makes sense and would really appreciate a 'back up for dummies' type walk-through.

Thanks in advance.

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Either create a new full backup, to replace the existing archive file, or an incremental backup of the slave drive.

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

For data that doesn't change, burn to DVDs and free up space on the 300Gb. Or like Tom said, do an incremental backup. But personally I do not like incrementals. You can also mount that previous image, extract the previous data and burn it to DVDs. Then wipe that previous Image and do another Full Backup.

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

You're obviously no dummy because you were smart enough to have backups:). Check out my guides below and also the useful threads. That will occupy your reading time for a short while.

5. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Correct me if I misunderstood you, it sounds like you have an image of the slave drive as it was before and then erased the slave drive and now have new data on it and wish to back it up ( make an image). ( you also probably want to keep the old image of the slave drive so you can retrieve any data from that image)
    If I have this right, what I would do is make a new folder in your external HDD and give it a name ( such as "new slave" or the date) and then copy the image from the "new slave" to the external.
    If you don't want the old image from the slave drive, simply delete it.
    If I am wrong about your wishes please forgive my babbling.

6. pacha462

Thanks for the replies.

dbKNox, you are spot on however I have a slight dilema.

Ideally I just want HOME to just look at what new files have been created on my internal slave HD since the last time I backed up to my external HD and save those new ones to my external without altering ANY of the files I saved last time, unless they have been updated.

*** Edited to say *** I did not delete my slave after backing up the first time, I just deleted some files that I was not using much anymore but needed to keep them as a back up on my external. *** end edit ***

The files I deleted on my internal but backed up (as an image, with all the other data) on my external must still be available to me if I need to access them later.

Thanks in advance and hope this makes sense

7. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

You're making it unnecessarily complicated by using True Image for this. Just burn the files to dvd or move them over to the external using Windows Explorer. You should also look at SyncBack which someone mentioned in another topic.

8. pacha462

Thanks for your response but I disagree. I am looking for some automated process, what you are suggesting is completely manual and has much room for error. It's quite normal to have an automated back up process that just backs up new files. I am just trying to work out how HOME does this without affecting the previous files backed up. If you believe HOME does not possess this feature then please can you enlighten me with a program that does.

Thanks

9. crjackson

crjackson Registered Member

SyncBack

10. pacha462

Are you saying this function does not exist with 'Home'?

11. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

The answer is no. TI Home does not have the capability to just backup changed or new files individually. You can create a complete image of the drive with either follow on incremental or differential backups. You can also do a files and folders backup but not what you want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.