How to automate versions of full and differential backups

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by LarryDeb, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LarryDeb

LarryDeb Registered Member

I am running Paragon BR Free V10.1.19.16240 on a number of PCs.
    I would like to set up an automated system where I can take a full disk image on Sunday, then take differential backups each night of the week (Monday-Saturday) and keep 4 versions (weeks) of full + incrementals backups in 4 backup directories on external disk.

I plan to name the backup directories and full image files with a version identifier in the paragon backup script. And then programatically changing the version ID in the paragon script each week, so that I can then rotate through the four versions, and then reuse the first version ...

I can script some of the processes to rename the files and directories in the Paragon full backup script, but have a problem automatically generating the differential backup script.

On Sunday my maintenance scripts will roll over the versions (basically remove all files in the version backup directory), so that my new full image backup will be placed in the oldest version directory.

Now after the full backup completes, I need to automatically generate a differential backup script from the base that was just created.

How can I generate a differential backup script using a command file?

Another option would be to manually create a very first differential script, and then programatically modify the script each Sunday after the full backup completes. I just do not know what all I would need to do to get that done correctly. I also don't know if anything should be done to register/de-register the files with Paragon.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

2. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

The free edition doesn't support Retention policies, you can manually script them in, but there is nothing within the free edition that will do that.

3. LarryDeb

LarryDeb Registered Member

Hi Matt:
    Thanks for the response.
    I decided for now I will run the first full disk img copies, and then generate the differential backups. Once I have those, I will manage the versioning processes by updating the Paragon scripts, first manually, and then automated.

Have a good day!

4. crypto1701

crypto1701 Registered Member

Are you saying that the paid version DOES support retention policies? Because I have been trying it out and I can't seem to find any such functionality.

I was using another backup suite, but am moving away from them with my move to Windows 8. I use to do incrementals against the full disk every night with the "Create a new full backup every n days" set to 14 and it would create a full every 2 weeks and then create incrementals for those fulls for the next 13 days. I had to do cleanup myself, but I cannot find a way with Disk Suite 12 (demo) to set up an automatically rolling full/incremental setup.. at least not at the disk/partition level.

Is it possible to do this, or do I have to create new tasks every time I want a new full? I really don't want to mess with the scripts (not a fan of Windows implementation of scripting)..

Thanks,
    Rog

5. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

LarryDeb,

This is *not* a feature of the paragon products yet. I am going to speculate that in order to fully do what you want with paragon, you will have to write your own script. This is probably best (done imho) with another scripting language combined with paragon's script vs just using paragon's scripting, as the paragon script language is *not* as robust as say vbscript (for example).

... Yes, this is one area where the Paragon Backup products is lacking (imho), when compared with products like Acronis and Macrium.
    ... However, as a benefit, I have found paragon products to be reliable for backups and restores on my pc.
    ... Personally, I do *not* use differential backups. I always execute scheduled - full image backups.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.