how to alternate between two full backups

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by radianceseeker, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radianceseeker

radianceseeker Registered Member

Hi,

Wondering if there's a way to tell ATI Home 9 to do this:

(EDIT: I said Home 9, meant Home 2009).

- Make a full backup.
    - If there was already another full backup in the destination folder, then delete the old one (not consolidate, but outright delete).

This way I always have a backup in existence (rather than overwriting old with new).

AND I minimize the amount of space needed for backup. The above scheme needs at most 2X the size of the source disk/partition.

If I use consolidation with full backups, the worst case space requirement appears to be 4x the source size. (1x for full, 1x for second full, plus 2x for size of consolidated result as it writes it[1], before it deletes the backups it consolidated from).

If I use consolidation with incremental backups, the worst case is still 4x (in the case I completely replace the drive's contents from one day to the next) although the likely case is smaller that 4x (since I don't actually rewrite the entire disk from day to day).

I can work with a 2x space requirement, but at 4x I have to buy new hardware to hold the backups and working space for consolidation. 2x is much preferable.

Thanks for any ideas/help.

[1] https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1339054&postcount=4

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

If you have not been put off by the "urban Myths" about using a secure zone it will give the result you require.

Create a secure zone of sufficient size to take two full backup images.
    The zone can be on a seperate hard drive external or internal and provided you do not activate the default Start up Recovery Manager there will be no modifications made to the MBR.

Fed with full images the ASZ will operate on the FIFO basis. The first image will not be overwritten by the second image. It will only be deleted as the third is saved there.

The total amount of space taken is 2X which is what you require. Done this way you will have two images available for most of the time making maximum use of the space you have set aside.

Scheduling your backups will make the whole process "hands free"

Xpilot

Edit The OP has moved the Goal Posts ! Version 2009 is being not Version 9 so my above post is not relevant.

Xpilot

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You can do it without a Secure Zone. You just have to heck out post 4 in this thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=228046

Vlad has found a way to fool ATI into doing multiple full backups with automated management

Basically you're telling ATI to do 0 consolidations which forces it to go right to deleting of the oldest backup. Simple, right?

Sometimes you can overcome the designer's myopia by being just a little more clever than the designers.

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

While I agree with what you say about the Version 2009 is it still applicable to a Build of Version 9 Home?

Xpilot

5. radianceseeker

radianceseeker Registered Member

Whoops, sorry guys, my error - I should have said I have Acronis True Image Home 2009.

- R

6. The Gold Tooth

The Gold Tooth Registered Member

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Nope, but he said he was using Home 2009.

8. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

To be pedantic that was disclosed by an edit after I had replied to his original post where V 9 was stated.

Either you replied after the edit or you make an excellent Clairvoyant !

Xpilot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.