how to add HD 3tb or over in windows

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by garry35, Nov 15, 2015.

1. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

how do i add drives 3tb or over in windows 7 or later. do i need to enable UEFI or GPT in the bios, or is there any other special programs or drivers. i would rather do this by loading drivers or changing a setting inb the bios if possible. i say win 7 because i have more than 1 computer but no OS earlier than win7

2. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

If you use the 3TB as data drive, then no need to change settings in the BIOS. Just format the drive as GPT drive then you are good to go.

3. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

would this work for an external USB drive

4. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Yes it would.

5. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

are these large drives as reliable as smaller drives?

6. Stode

Stode Registered Member

Good question..
    For some reason, I have had nothing than troubles with this Verbatim 3TB (=toshiba) 3.5" drive which i bought..
    I have it connected on a FujiTech usb 3.0 dock station.
    The partition(s) seem to disappear from time to time and go back into "raw" format (this is how windows sees it), but
    for example,software like Eassos Partition Guru can see the original partitions..
    Anyways, then I have to run chkdsk on the partition(s) and they work again...
    I think the dockstation is a faulty one, I'll be taking it back to the shop from where I bought it, a few weeks ago,and
    get it replaced..

Nowadays I burn all my valuable data on BD-R (Bluray) Discs for archival purposes with SecurDisc (=Ahead Nero) Verify..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.