How to access System Restore at boot?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    :oops: I have a problem with my pc. :doubt:

It was then infected by a worm and then Antivir detected them and I put them to quarantine. Some of those things detected was found in Windows32 folder and has an .exe at the end of it. Like something a number then at end is an exe.

When I reboot my pc, several error messages pop-ups in the screen during logging and i just ignore them and press ok coz my pc was just running fine. But then, it still could detect the same worms and i just repeat the process of quarantining them.

I just thinking that maybe antivir is not that effective in removing all of those worms or maybe it is just good in detecting and removing viruses. So I decided to uninstall antivir and replace it with Avast anti-virus. Avast detected still the same worms that Antivir has detected but I think its very effective that it removes all those worms in one scanning run and didn't occured again and my pc just run ok and when I re-boot my pc there's only one error msg that pop-ups. It's 0481...exe (I forgot the exact number).

Now, here's the problem. I was then thinking that I should remove the old junk file from Antivir...so I run Registry Mechanic for clean up. Sure it detected the old antivir junk files ....and it also detected the 0482...exe error msg that alwasy pop-ups on my screen. I decided to "repair" them all with registry mechanic thinking that it should be removed coz it now is useless.

But when I re-boot my pc, yes it reboot fine...but the problem is I couldn't log-in anymore into all accts including the admin acct. It just flashes then return to where before I click the logging entrance. o_O :p Even if I tried it several times using the F8 key using the safe mode...still the same I couldn't enter anymore into any acct.

I think, maybe Registry Mechanic had causes this problem and that 0481...exe is an executable file to open up windows accts. :blink:

Why is it that an anti-virus may sometimes detects falsely those very important executable files even if its not really a virus that when it was removed or quarantine it causes several error messages during pc start-up?

How can I access the XP System Restore during boot-up? (I am using Windows XP Pro SP2)

Are there any command keys to punch to access those system restore during boot-up so that I can revert back my pc to where it was before this problem occur? o_O

2. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Woulf safe mode with command prompt be good enough, as the restore tool can be run from there http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449/ .

If not you will probably have to boot into the recovery console and manually copy the backed up registry from the sys recovery folder.
    Probably not too hard to work out the correct paths (Ive not time at the moment).

Cheers, Nick

3. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Any more advices and suggestions? o_O :doubt:

All of those command in the F8 key Safe mode, etc, etc...didn't work out...coz still I couldn't log in or access my admin or all accounts. It just says logging in then a flash after that a saving your settings immediately comes on and returns to welcome screen.

Coz I'm now coming to in the decision of formatting my pc...in Saturday....if still nothing works. Gosh!!! All of those files on drive C will be lost coz I have not make a backup copy of that drive. Any suggestions of saving my files in c drive b4 I format it? :( :cautious:

4. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

Howdy cardigan! Oooppps... Sweater. ;)

If your Restore Point/s were corrupted or compromised, check this out ~ http://www.digitalwebcast.com/2002/03_mar/tutorials/cw_boot_toot2.htm

That, basically involves 5 items within XP's sys32' ConFig, besides havin your original winOS-CD on hand (coz you need that to run 911-Restore). If you don't have the original OS-disc, get from that exactly correspond to your 'infected' OS (and don't you forget your 'admin pwd' either)!

The url above shall leads you into restoring-how2.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  5. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

Addendum:
    With regards to my previous post, 'Restoring How2' in that url presume nothing has been done with 'registry' items.

I noticed that you have run RegMechanix, right after an infection. And you indicated that it's exe-worm "04xx" something.

Running RegistryM with a partially-clean but infected OS may exacerbate doing a restore with regards to the url i indicated previously.

You may need to goto 'hkey_Users/machines'... procedures, etc., under Safe Mode instead. Anway, step-by-step first... try the procedures indicated in my previous url-listing.... and good luck!

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi sweater, I cleaned two PCs infected with brontok worm via Antivir and both failed to load explorer after cleaning. They used to stuck after welcome screen. I had to do a repiar install of XP.
    I cleaned two systems infected with Brontok via Avast and no such issues.

I think ur only option is to do a repir install of windows.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Regarding backing up before format, u can pic up ur files by a bootable linux CD and copy them to some other partition/ HD/ media.

8. ravin

ravin Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.