How the DNC was hacked

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Mover, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Mover

Mover Registered Member

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Probably would, but I don't know many users that actually check out their login history for possible intrusions.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I think the reason they got hack was just plain stupidity. One of the wikileaks emails I saw was an email they sent out saying the passwords need ed to be changed and there in the body of the email was new passwords. DUH

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

5. Peter2150

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Well, the aide is the one that caught it first, unfortunately...

7. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

8. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

9. Peter2150

One always as to first ask them selves do they trust the source.

10. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Do you think this might be fake? The NY Times always seemed pretty credible, same for Ars Technica which also published this story. I, on the other hand, should never be trusted, especially with money :cautious:

11. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Agreed

12. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

The reference was to Profexer, I think.

13. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

From the NYT article:

That sounds very much like the effort behind Stuxnet. It'd be hilarious if the US and Russia bought code from some of the same cybercriminals.

14. Trooper

15. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"...Roughly 20 years later, the California Republican still goes a little gooey over Russia’s strongman president. Rohrabacher, who chairs the House Foreign Affairs subcommittee on Europe, Eurasia and emerging threats, has navigated a remarkable arc from self-professed “ ultimate cold warrior” to friend of the new, and increasingly grumpy, Russian bear. More than anyone in Congress, he has become a reliable defender of the Russian point of view...

To the extent Russia has any friends other than Rohrabacher in Washington today, they are for the most part officially paid for—a slew of slick and ineffective PR people and lobbyists who have eagerly taken millions of dollars from Russia in recent years to help burnish its image..."

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/01/putins-washington-113894

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  16. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

It seems to me too many people are prepared to blindly believe anything as long as it is presented to them by the mainstream media.
    Doesn't anyone consider that the suspect is not much of a suspect if they don't have a credible motive for doing what they are accused of doing?
    I would also ask, when the said suspect does not appear to have a credible motive, why does no one seem to consider it likely that a player who did have a credible motive was responsible and smart enough to create an evidence trail that pointed to someone else?
    I mean really. That just seems like common sense to me.
    A lot more common sense than to believe those responsible did not create an evidence trail that pointed to someone else.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  17. Trooper

So much this. I believe zero that they have to say. Sad but true.

18. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

You are right; however, we the people have little to no means to verify much of anything. Caveat emptor.

19. boredog

boredog Registered Member

Julian did say he wanted to have his own press section in the White House and that he was going to tell Trump personally who hacked the DNC and that is wasn't Russia.

20. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/08/blowing-the-whistle-on-bad-attribution/

21. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I felt that was true all along. A super power knows how to cover their trail, and such an easy trail is merely something to make it appear it was Russia. My hunch anyway.

22. Trooper

I am all for this. Especially if it will have the result I would personally like to see.

23. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

Which is?

24. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"Report of Ukraine ‘witness’ to DNC hack stirs confusion...

...Ukraine’s Cyberpolice said Saturday the unnamed individual had no established links to hacking and that it isn’t clear that the man is even a malware author.

The Times’ story has since been revised to eliminate the reference to a DNC link. A Ukrainian lawmaker has been quoted as saying that the Times misidentified the hacker entirely..."

http://wtop.com/europe/2017/08/report-of-ukraine-witness-to-dnc-hack-stirs-confusion/

25. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Yes. Reading the posts that followed my original link to the article, much more savvy people were seeing this story was more of a "story" and not news. I think that's very commendable.

Yes, it is sad when a trusted news source appears to be stooping to sensationalism at the expense of bona fide news for the sake of readership. But, the warning was there in hindsight when this story wasn't reading like news, more like a spy novel. Lesson learned.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.