How should I make the partitions?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MartinH, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MartinH

MartinH Registered Member

Hi,

I have a hard-drive with 457 Gbytes.
    How should I make the size of the partitions?
    There should be a second partition for documents, photos, music, videos!
    On the boot and programs partition there should be enough space for
    temporary using (video-capturing in Mpeg2, sound-editting, location of image files for the burning program).

And there should be enough free space for the Acronis Secure Zone !
    With programs and games I reached a size of max. 70 Gbytes, not more!
    That means that there must be free space for the Secure Zone for min. the compressed size of 70 Gbytes.
    But I want to make also an image of the second partition which should have min. 40 Gbytes.
    Is it recommended to make an image of all partitions?
    Can you tell me a good possibility?

2. kickwormJoe

kickwormJoe Registered Member

Hey Martin,

I'm not an expert, but this is how I had wanted to partition my 200GB drive:

C ~20GB (for OS and "system" utilities like VirusScan, etc.)
    D ~40GB (for programs like Office, Dreamweaver, etc.)
    E ~60GB (for games!)
    F ~80GB (for data like My Documents, MP3's, video capture, etc.)

TI8 wouldn't let me partition it like that, especially when I restored my images. I ended up w/:

C ~24GB (smallest partition TI8 would let me make)
    D,E ~50GB each
    F ~70GB

I plan on using Partition Magic to fix it the way I want. Hope this helps. 457GB, huh? That's more than I know what to do with!

Joe

3. MartinH

hmm...
    I want to can backup all files. What about this:

C: 207 Gbyte for Windows/software/games/capturing
    D: 90 Gbyte for photos/documents/virtual cds/music

Recovery 160 Gbyte
    If D would be full (it will never bei full :D ), I can image it and C (i don't have so many programs that I reach more than 80 Gbyte.
    I just have to much space :D

The recovery partition is so big because it is a bit (only a bit) possibility that I will need it. And if I don't have enough space - I can change the size of the partitions.

My question:
    If I would increase the size of C and try to restore an image of C (which was made from the smaller C), would TI ask me to make the size of the new C bigger? (Then I will never have a problem)

4. MartinH

second question:
    If I delete the partitions C and D under DOS and make it another size, would I be able to access the Secure Zone and restore the images of C and D with another size of the target partition?

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MartinH,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Acronis True Image does allow you to manage the sizes of partitions when you restore the image. It doesn't matter whether you have already got any partitions on the target hard disk or not. If you use Acronis Secure Zone and delete any partitions except Acronis Secure Zone you will be able to restore from it and even boot from it providing you have activated Acronis Startup Recovery Manager.

As for partitioning it is difficult to recommend anything because it depends on your own needs. It is recommended that you have Acronis Secure Zone large enough because if you create the image of partition with video, audio files or pictures the size of the image cannot be reduced much because these data are difficult to archive. This is common situation for any archive/back up software.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. MartinH

When I have formatted and reinstalled windows, does I need to install TI 8 from the cd first or is it possible to install the newest version directly ?

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MartinH,

You may install the latest build from scratch. To install Acronis True Image please use the same serial number you were given when you purchased the software.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.