How should I deal with VirtualBouncer?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by jayzzz, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I'd be grateful for some advice. Panda Active Scan found VirtualBouncer on my computer yesterday. They offered a few different ways to pay them to take it out. As I looked around in Google, I found descriptions of the files I should have associated with it...and I don't have the "program."
    http://members.shaw.ca/wpf/confused/wtf.gif
    A couple of malfunctions began a few days before and I don't know if they're connected. They're not symptoms for VirtualBouncer, from what I read.

<<One program (ePrompter) seems associated with freezing my system & needing pushbutton reboot...however, it's been reliable for years. Everyone w/ same trouble has XP Home, as I do. I've also lost function of the Search feature in my computer, but did download Agent Ransack. That seems to work just fine.>>

I saw some sites offering to scan for VirtualBouncer, but wasn't going to get 2nd opinions from sites not recommended here. Then, I'd just have more trouble from whatever they left behind. :p

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You could try a trial of Pest Patrol, Spysweeper or the like. Or you could try the Microsoft Antispyware program beta.

3. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi jayzzz,

To add to Ronjor's suggestion, you can also look through these two links for more information:

CastleCops - Startup List
    Trendmicro - ADW_Bundout.A

Use your Add/Remove Programs applet and look for VirtualBouncer, but make sure you choose 'custom uninstall' and not automatic uninstall as automatic uninstall could end up with the removal of other programs as mentioned in the StartupList at CastleCops.

Then I would followup with running a trusted anti-spyware scanner for further cleanup...running it in safe mode, then again in regular mode.

Regards,

snap

4. HD rider UK

HD rider UK Registered Member

5. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Thanks. I already used the Micro$oft Antispyware program, I think it was Saturday. It found something called "GonnaSearch toolbar," and "said" it removed it. Since then, the program has been running in my tray, providing some kind of "active protection." When I ran it again yesterday, it found nothing. From what I read here, there seemed to be some chance that "GonnaSearch" was a false-positive.

There's info here about removing VirtualBouncer, but I don't know if it's legitimate AND I don't seem to have the files I'm supposed to find and remove. I think there's another scan highly rated by this site that maybe I should try?

I don't think I went anyplace aggressive give me something through Firefox with SpywareBlaster, Spybot Immunizations, WinPatrol system checks every few minutes, Sygate PF, AVG, etc. Obviously, I may be wrong. :)

6. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I appreciate the advice....but the program doesn't show in Add/Remove Programs or when I look at Programs in the C directory. I'll check the two links above, and SpywareWarrior, too, thanks, but if the program isn't in Programs, is there anything to do, really? Nothing is being redirected for me; I have no pop-ups. I'm confused.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.