How should I deal with unwanted torrent files showing up on desktop?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by justenough, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justenough

justenough Registered Member

How should I deal with unwanted torrent files on desktop?

Never had this happen before, and can't find any information about it. Today when I started the computer, 7 torrent files were on the right side of my desktop. I've never used a torrent program, and as far as I know don't have one installed now. I put the files in the trash, and will install Online Armor. Any ideas about how this happened and what I should do about it?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

what files were they, name & extension of 1 or 2 maybe

3. justenough

I've already deleted them, sorry. Before I deleted them, I looked up a few of the file names to see if I could tell what the program was, but got no matches.

4. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

I bet someone (or SOMETHING) clicked a download link that referred to a torrent file. What you no doubt had on the desktop were Trackers with a ".torrent" extension. These would be normally opened by default by a Client, but as you don't have one installed they were just saved on the Desktop by default.

Delete them and don't worry (and keep that SOMETHING away from your computer).

5. justenough

So what probably happened is that I clicked on a hidden torrent file and then let it out of Sandboxie? That would be better than it being some sort of malware on the computer up to no good, which is what I first thought had happened.

6. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

Unless you put the files there on purpose and recognize them, I'd be worried.
    Scan your pc cause they don't just poof there without a little help

7. justenough

I followed your advice, Kyle1420, and scanned with MBAM, HMP, SAS and EEK. Nothing was found, so unless it happens again, cruelsister's diagnosis was probably right, they were torrent files that couldn't open because I don't have a torrent client installed. Yesterday I did something I don't do often: downloaded a few pictures from green-WOTed sites to use as wallpaper. One of the clicks must have been on a hidden torrent, so I am chalking this up to user error, and hopefully I'll learn a little something for the future.

8. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

If you know when they appeared, your browser history for that date might have your answer.

9. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

If you click on a torrent link in a browser, it will offer to save the file or open it in your default program. You must've saved it there or use a browser that is set up to automatically download clicked files to a default location. Is the desktop your default download location?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.