How should I configure for usb drive?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by njsteve, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njsteve

njsteve Registered Member

Hi,

I just purchased Acronis True Image 9.0 today and I am kind of confused how to set it up.

I am running Windows XP Profressional and I have a 160 gig external USB drive that I purchased to hold the backup archive.

So I did a full backup including system files to the external drive today. I also created a bootable media on a cd rom.

My big concern is how will I access that external drive if the main OS has problems. If I can't boot from the internal drive then I won't be able to see that external drive I am guessing.

This seems like it should be a pretty standard implementation of using the software to backup to a USB external drive, but I am kind of confused after reading the online help.

I'd appreciate any feedback on what I need to do here to be able to restore from that external drive in the event of an OS failure on the main drive.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if ur main OS fails, u use teh bootable rescue cd.

u should be able to access ur external drive with no problem. just restore the image and all will be well.

3. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

The first thing that should be done when installing a backup program, or an update, is to boot from the recovery media even BEFORE one does a backup,

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello njsteve,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I am sorry for the delayed response.

Basically, WSFuser have described the actions you need to perform in order to recover your system.

Having created the special bootable rescue media (Acronis True Image Bootable CD) you now will be able to use this CD if your operating system fails (not booting) to start your computer and restore the system from the created image archive. When boted from Acronis True Image Bootable CD you load the standalone version of the program. It has almost the same GUI as in Windows so it will be easy to restore the image. There are two variants of the standalone version. The full variant is based on the Linux operating system and uses Linux drivers for getting access to all hardware devices. The safe variant is based on the DOS environment and doesn't provide you with an access to the USB, PCMCIA, SCSI, RAID devices and the network. We recommend you to use the safe variant only if the full one doesn't work.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

5. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

If that means that you did a files & folders backup, I would suggest that you create a disk/partition image. To restore the OS to the same drive a partition image of C: will suffice. To transfer it to a new drive a whole disk image will make the task easyer, especially if your system drive now holds more than one partition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.