How Reliable is The GRC - ShielpUP Test

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by niteghost, Sep 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. niteghost

niteghost Registered Member

Just wondering how reliable is the Gibson Research - GRC- Shieldup test. Can I get some Opinions on their "Stealth" Test ?

The GRC test claims to gain access to "Windows Messenger" on my Linux system as well !! << { That was my friend's Puter ]

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Just my opinion,but I trust the Shields Up stealth test results.
    It's the first firewall test site that I use.

3. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Dont use online test sites. If you have proxy between your machine and the website you will get ports showing up as open etc., even though they are not. Using a tool like nmap.

4. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

As far as I know ShieldsUp is the fastest, most reliable stealth test scanner on the internet. I have never seen anyone having legit issues with it (not due to proxy, ISP, ect.).

5. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I have public IP and GRC's Shields Up is the best online test I know so far.
    This test helped me to set up my firewall to open port for bittorent and etc.

6. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

The test is just very simple.
    You may wish to try other comprehensive tests instead:
    http://www.spiesonline.net/securitytests.shtml (listing)
    http://www.eeye.com/html/resources/downloads/index.html (free testing tools)

Network Security Testing products and companies:

7. Ghosteck

Ghosteck Registered Member

[Dont use online test sites. If you have proxy between your machine and the website you will get ports showing up as open etc., even though they are not. Using a tool like nmap.]

I am using a proxy,and my firewall comes back with a pass... So i would say that
    you must be wrong.. I use ISPbooster and lavasoft firewall and I have NO problems..

8. dog

dog Guest

No if you're running thru a proxy; the scanner will scan the proxy IP and not your IP address. Check that the IP address displayed is yours --- GRC uses a https connection before the scan to display/determine this -- if you see your address listed you don't have your browser configured properly (ie. it's sending (443) SSL/TLS communications directly).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.