How police track anonymous proxies/VPN?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by WRC, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WRC

WRC Registered Member

i have a question , when you do something "wrong" in your own country but you use an overseas high anonymous proxy or VPN , or janusVM
    and police from your country want to know who are you , how police track the proxy ?

1º police from my country ask all ISP from my country who is the user who connected to the anonymous proxy.
    2º police from my country ask overseas police (country who is located the proxy) who is the user who connected to the anonymous proxy. and maybe they care about it or not and will eventually forget.

i ask this question because somebody wrote in other forum some years ago that
    police dont need ask overseas police to track the anonymous proxy but they ask ISP from own country when they suspect that user is located in the own country . is this true??

Greetings

2. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

If the proxy or VPN has done its job then the police would have to request the information from the proxy or VPN owner because they would only have the IP of the exit node unless your DNS leaked. They should not know who your ISP is without going through the proxy or VPN service provider, and some proxy's do not log traffic. Some VPN's that call themselves anonymity providers use protocols that are known to be bad for leaking DNS. You should research DNS leaking, and Jurisdiction to help you choose the VPN that is right for you if your main concern is anonymity. Also read their service agreement to see if they log traffic, and what their policy is on turning over users information. Nothing is fool proof so educate yourself, and know the risk. I am no expert in this field so use these services at your own risk!

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

First, times have changed dramatically from some years ago. A lot of things law enforcement agencies and government in general needed to do to start an investigation and carry it out, they may no longer need to do, or they just plain ignore them. You need to know the law in your own country first, and then you need to do some research about the laws and the way the government and police handle things in the country whose IP you are using. If it is a "friendly" country, meaning your country has a lot of ties to the other, you can expect that the two countries will very likely work together, if the charges are serious enough.

Also, never, ever trust your VPN provider, proxy, and what have you. Having a privacy policy is not the same as following it. Almost every company in the world has one, but that doesn't mean they're sticking to it. The truth is, if you do something stupid enough that law enforcement or higher gets involved, or your ISP, VPN provider, and so on decides they don't want to deal with whatever these agencies want on you, they're going to hand you over, gift-wrapped with a bow.

4. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

DW, you touched on some very good points. I also know there are just some things for Law Enforcement worth pursuing, and others that are not worth the time, money & other resources it would take for them to pursue & prosecute or intervene.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.