How often do you update your software?

Discussion in 'polls' started by berryracer, Jun 16, 2012.

?

1. Never, I install them once and continue using them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Rarely, only if I encounter a problem with a particular app

5.1%
  3. Monthly

3.4%
  4. Everytime I see an update, I download/install it!

91.5%
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

How often do you update your applications?

I personally I am obsessed with version numbers and keep visiting MajorGeeks on a daily basis to know all about the latest software upgrades/revisions

I hate this is it is a tedious task but what to do......I am obsessed with having the latest of everything.....

One small version change and I uninstall / install the newer version......

2. guest

guest Guest

I'm obsessed with updates too. lol

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I check for updates several times a day and accept all updates.

4. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I update when the newer version offers a feature that I want or fixes something that I consider important. As an average, I'll install 2 maybe 3 updates in a month. Didn't vote in the poll as none of the choices really fit.

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I don't really update on a time basis. More like a need basis.

6. guest

guest Guest

I feel physically and mentally bad when I leave something outdated. I'm truly addicted to updating lmao

7. guest

guest Guest

The big exception is drivers: I'm fine with old versions if they are working well and don't have known security holes.

But the software NEEDS to be updated here.

I'll also start seeking for replacements if an app/extension/whatever goes without updates for more than a year.

8. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

I update my software weekly using Secunia PSI to check for security updates of my software.

9. berryracer

I was obsessed even with driver updates.....but I discovered after rigorous testing and tens of formats...that I got no benefit from the driver updates except some glitches or freezes here or there

So now I just stick to the drivers that shipped with my notebook

10. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

You forgot the 'only if it needs it' option. Which is the only reason anyone should really update, at all.

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I'm in the same situation like you guys, as soon as i know there is a new version of a software i use, i update it immediately. :D

Also as Peter said, i hate using software that is no longer updated, that's why i always try to use software from companies that are well established and working on it hard. :rolleyes: :thumb:
    I hate when i start using a software and become a follower then later discover that it will be going to be discontinued (Comodo Time Machine, Malware Defender, and others), such a big disappointment. :D

12. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I rarely update apps, and only if there is a good reason. Lately, jumping to install the latest version or a program can cause a lot of problems (probably related to a continuous degradation in code quality...).

13. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

everyday search for updates and install it.:cool:

14. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

" Everytime I see an update, I download/install it! ": often they are security fix.

15. niki

niki Registered Member

16. berryracer

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

For security updates I do them straight away. if i know an update will need a reboot i wait for a few before updating unless its patch tuesday.

18. On Linux: daily when applicable.

On Windows: when I remember, which is barely ever.

^^^ This is why Windows needs package repositories.

19. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

When I see the update - I update.

20. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I install patches or security updates as soon as their available. As far as application go newer is not always better! I have seen a lot of great products that have been degraded by their developers in later version or builds. If its not broken then there's no need to fix it! If there's known flaws that need fixed in an application then that's a different story.

21. SweX

SweX Registered Member

If it is a essential/needed, and it is a stable update then I will update, but I usually wait a couple of days.

22. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I concur with these two respondents, and there is no poll choice that addresses this approach.
    Some programs, I am all over the update... with my AV or with MBAM.
    Windows Updates, though set to manual, are always installed on the day they hit the MS servers.
    I always update Sandboxie right away, and frequently install Tzuk's betas, because they are that good.
    Chrome always gets updated immediately, even though I have auto updating blocked.
    HitmanPro is always kept very current.
    Online Armor updates sometimes don't get installed right away.
    CCleaner might be a version or two behind.
    Other programs (like CCEnhancer, MailWasher Pro, Foxit Reader, KeePass, KeyScrambler, etc.) are definitely on an 'as needed' basis, meaning I usually review the changelog to decide if the upgrade is important, or I don't get too shook if I am a week or two past the version release date.
    Edit in: Forgot to mention, some program version are YEARS behind, like Eraser and Fastone Capture.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  23. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

More or less the same as Page42.

24. guest

guest Guest

A day without updates is a sad day. :D - Sometimes I think main job of my computer is to be there for me just to be updated. :p - I am using 3 programs to constantly check for updates:

- Filehippo Update Checker (up to 4 times a day or more *g*)

- SuMo (Software Update MOnitor - very often updated itself *g* - but beware of bundled adware/toolbars etc. while installing! - once per day or twice)

- Secunia PSI (v2.0 only, hated crippled, dumbed down "housewife version" :D v3.0 beta at least when testing some weeks ago - once or twice per day)

Other ideas for updates are coming from Wilders, Heise etc. - So there is always something to update and pretty much every day is a good one. *puppy*

ps: My system is "faster" and more stable than anytime before this way! Especially Firefox, Thunderbird etc. had a huge speed improvement over the months and years and my not so new system is as fast as I could wish (thanks to SSD mostly). - Just recalling ... TotalCommander v8 seems to me also much faster and I love my Win7 now more than XP before! (metro hater :)) - So for me updating only rarely leads to problems but much more often makes my computer faster and more secure! But main reason is of course: I am an update junkie, no doubt! :D

25. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahahaha you guys take the constant update definition to a new level. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.