How often do you scan for nasties?

Discussion in 'polls' started by notageek, Mar 10, 2004.

?

How ofter do you use you AV?

1. Once a day

20 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Every other day

6 vote(s)
    9.2%
  3. 2 times a week

10 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. 1 time a week

18 vote(s)
    27.7%
  5. Once every 2 weeks

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. once a month

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  7. Other (please explain)

6 vote(s)
    9.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

This is a national poll to see how many times people scan with their AVs. LOL On a side note you can also put down in a post on how many times you use your At's and spyware scanners if you want also. :)

2. DMo224

DMo224 Registered Member

Don't call me paranoid, but I'm paranoid. :p I alternate everyday between the AV and spykillers and anything that has to do with stopping the nasties!

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Generally I'll do a full "housecleaning" once or twice a week -- a-v (avast!), Ad-Aware, registry cleanup, chkdsk, and defrag. Plus an additional then-and-there with avast and Ad-Aware if anything doesn't seem right, or I just have a funny instinct.

Plus I've got the resident protection of avast and SG, and the "almost-resident" SB, to keep an eye on things in between full scans.

4. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Once per week, I'll run a full scan with Norton AV. As for AdAware and Spybot S&D, it's a bit less frequently on average, but always after there's been an update.

For an AT program, I recently downloaded the freebie from a2, so it's a bit too soon to be saying how often I run this one. Right now, though, it looks like it's going to be once per week minimum, as the free version has no 'run in the background' capability.

5. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I usually do a full system scan with Nod32v2 every other day. ;)

As far as spyware programs i always run Spybot S&D and or Ad-awarePlus everyday.(paranoia kicking in :eek:)

As far as AT, i use Boclean so no scan needed there and for Keyloggers and other nasties i use SpyCop which takes forever to scan so i only do it once a week. ;) *puppy*

snowbound

6. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi,

My AV scanner runs every night when i walk the dog. Frustrating because it never found a virus when i come home.
    AT varies but twice a week is common.

Gerard

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I run my av once a day on demand scan, Run at, antiworm and the rest once a day.

8. sig

sig Registered Member

I have AV and AT real time monitors and and maybe use my AV's on demand scanner about once a month. Ditto for on demand spyware apps. Works for me.

9. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

Yup, a couple a times a week unless I'm really bored or there's a bunch of alerts from the AV/AT vendors, MS or CERT! Occasionally, I do it just to give my CPU some excercise! (I'm a low-maintenance type of guy!) :D

10. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Wow. I used to be paranoid. I used to run my AV everyday. Now I only run it once a week. I run spybot Adaware once a month. I really don't clean my registry because there's not point unless I unistall a program.

11. Wiskonst

Wiskonst Registered Member

AV three times a week in the middle of the night (3 am). The rest of the night a distributed computing program is running.
    Trojan- and spywarescanning around once a week.

_______
    Wiskonst

12. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    Hi Gerard,

I don't own a dog... :doubt:... any suggestions for cat-owners? ;)

My scans:
    AV - Twice a week
    AT - Once a week
    Spybot - Everytime @ startup

(+ (obviously) make sure to have all the latest definitions all the time :cool:

13. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi slammer,

Take your cat out as well. Good for the cat, good for you and good for your pc, :D

Gerard

14. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

A/V = resident scanner always on; on demand scan once a week.
    A/T = resident guard always on; on demand scan once a week.
    Spybot-SD and Ad-Aware = always after an update (sometimes I'll do a demand scan with them after I've been searching through google).

15. subratam

subratam Registered Member

Avast On access scanner always on
    AVG 7 pro On demand once in 2 days after updates
    TDS-3 after updates everyday
    Spybot and Adaware ofcourse after updates and even then almost after I finish surfing for sometime at the time of turning off my machine.

16. 10390bc

10390bc Registered Member

A/V (NAV) about once a wk. A/T (pestpatrol) about 2x a wk. For spyware- x-block at startup,spybot-once a wk. and ad-aware every other wk.

17. IceTech

IceTech Registered Member

Full scan with AV (Antivir & Avast) at least once per week. Keep them fully up-to-date/time every day. Also, do scans with everything else after AV scan. Have kept system very clean so far. :cool:

18. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello all,

I have NOD32 set up to automatically scan MBR and Memory after every update. AMON and IMON always on. NOD32 on demand one time a week.

TDS-3 set to all possible scan options at boot with exec protect alway on. Full system scan once a week, usually on weekend after all the weekly updates.

Trojan Hunter once a week with Trojan Hunter Guard always on.

AdAware after each update. The same for SpyBot Search and Destroy.

I also have several on demand only AV's that I use as needed to verify possible false positives if I have any. Other than that I use them about once a month for full system scans....

Regards,
    Kent

19. TeMerc

TeMerc Registered Member

I have Nort AV set to run every nite. I also run SpySweeper every morning. AdAware & Spybot S&D, get run every other day, alternating. And, of course I have Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard, along with MRU Blaster, which I run occasionally, as I'm the only one with access to the pc.
    I also am running a 'trial version' of Trojan Hunter, running every nite as well. Still not decided if I will buy or not, will probably try some others too.

20. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I scan with an a/v(Dr.Web) and an a/t(the Cleaner) once a week.
    If I have suspicions of something not being "right" then I scan at that time also.

21. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hello
    i scan at least once a day with either antivirus or spyware scanner
    Rita

22. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I scan for nasties regularly. Anyway, i usually don't download any programs, so my computer is always spyware-free.

23. Grumble

Grumble Registered Member

I do a full scan with McAfee AV-8 every 6 hours (midnight, 6am, noon, 6pm) and a full scan with TDS-3 every 6 hours (3am, 9am, 3pm, 9pm).

I scan with the following twice a day: Ewido (1:30am & pm), Adaware (7:30am &pm), Spybot (4:30am & pm).

In between scans, I run Bazooka, Hyjackthis, and CWshredder.

I also keep no data or files on my computer other than operating system files and security apps, so feel quite safe.

I only need to figure out what good this computer is doing for me now.

:D :D :D

24. the mul

the mul Registered Member

I scan with kav 4.5 every couple of days and i scan with nod32 every couple of days as well.
    I do a full scan with TDS3 once a week, unless I feel it requires more scans and I do the same with ewido.
    I also scan with adaware 6 every couple of days and also with spybot 1.3 as well every couple of days and also with bazooka.

The MUL

25. f123

f123 Guest

AV...full hard drive scan about once every 6 to 8 weeks. However, I set download express to scan each downloaded program because I do not run a full time AV resident scanner. No infection since 2000.

F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.