How often do you (have to) reboot your PC

Discussion in 'polls' started by ThunderZ, Feb 1, 2007.

?

How often do you (have to) reboot your PC?

Poll closed Feb 4, 2007.
  1. Never. It is off when not in use.

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. One or more times a session.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 7 or more times a week.

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Only when adding\removing programs if called for.

17 vote(s)
    48.6%
  5. Only for regular maintenance.

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. Reboot ?

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Have always been curious about this and wonder why it differs so much, even under the same OS. From some stories I hear I guess my Wifes` XP and my 2K machine are exceptions to the rule. They run 24 hours a day 7 days a week sometimes with no problems. This is with fairly heavy use most of the day, very little idle time.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Maybe a Firstdefense user doesnt qualify in this poll, but atleast 7 times a week for me :)

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i only reboot when some program, settings, tweak or whatever calls for it. my computers dont run 24/7 though.

4. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Likewise, as he said. Occasionally will reboot to clear memory after turning malware loose in it during one of my local research studies.

If it was required of me to pin it down to an average daily number i would estimate approximately 3-4 reboots per day with 4 really stretching it if something important calls for it.

5. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Only when adding/removing programs, when changing an IP or settings.
    Ussually I start PC at 7:00 and I turn it off at 22:00 without any restart.
    If a software causes lock out in Vista, Ctrl+Alt+Del will allow me to log off.

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

When the computer calls for it.
    Also have computers on all the time, intranet, virtual.

7. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Yes...me too. Only when my pc says so. When installing/removing programs, and....when pc starts to slow down even without any reason. ;) :D

8. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Only if it`s called for by a program or settings.

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

When not in use It is turned off. I can't see the benefit of letting it run all of the fans and have the system active for no reason. To much money invested to just let it set there on doing nothing

10. Valkyri001

Valkyri001 Registered Member

o_O I can't tell you how long it is on sometimes, but very rare I have to reboot, unless of course a program calls for it. If your rebooting often for no apparent reason, your doing something wrong. Thats like turning the light on & off just to see if it works!;)

11. malformed

malformed Former Poster

I have one Linux PC on my network that hasn't been rebooted or shutoff in over eight months. Generally I leave all my PCs running constantly. Windows users have to reboot often, which is usually forced by either software installation or general instability.

12. Jokimoto

Jokimoto Registered Member

Yeah, malformed, gloat why dontcha? :D
    I reboot when a program needs it, and occasionally for boot-time defragment. Other than that, my comp. runs 24 hrs. a day, probably 25 days out of 30. My friends widely agree it's one of the quietest stock pc's they've ever (barely) heard: a Compaq Presario, SR1750NX. I'd recommend it highly as an all-purpose comp.

13. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Since I'm a FDISR user, I reboot alot.
    FDISR made a real reboot-expert out of me and after a week I could remove the sticker "How to reboot ?" from my computer case. ;)

14. ThunderZ

I guess perhaps I did not word my options very well, I know of many people who have to reboot Windows several times during a session in order for it to remain stable and operating at a proper\acceptable speed. These include some with rather high-end machines. They accept this as normal Windows behavior. While some who have posted, including myself do not have that need. Only doing it when adding\removing programs or maintenance as mentioned. Really curious as to the reason(s). I have installed Win2k on many an antiquated PC for elderly Friends and clients. Sub 1GHz processor and as little as 64 Mb of ram. Thrown in a FW and AV. While they were no speed demons, they ran smooth as silk for 12 to 16 hours at a time doing general surfing and e mailing. So IMO "necessary reboots" is not a natural occurrence related solely to Windows.

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

when it's not in use I put it on standby. If I go out it is shut off, as well as when I go to bed. :)

16. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Totally agree with a home machine or if business is finished for the day at the office.
    There is no reason for keeping the above computer on, stress is minimal starting up a modern machine, you can update anytime, its not gonna take long in starting up the next time and the green issue.

17. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

ThunderZ,
    On my old computer I had sometimes necessary reboots and my mouse blocked regularly. Sometimes I had to use the reboot-button on my computer case.

On my new computer, I don't have that problem anymore.

18. herbalist

herbalist Guest

I do reboot to DOS mode a few times a week for maintenance that can't be done while in windows. It also gets rebooted when I load an alternate OS for some other work. I can't remember the last time I had to reboot my PC due to lock up, low resources, BSOD, etc. It runs 24/7 and stays stable.
    Rick

19. ThunderZ

That is what I was looking for when I set up this Poll. Thank you Herbalist. Guess next time I will have to explain myself better.

20. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

as programs require (9 time out of 10 Windows)
    and as I break installs tweaking :p

21. ThunderZ

Hate when that happens. :mad: Been there, done that. :oops: o_O Ah, the price we pay when we try to get the most for the least. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.