How often do you dust out your computer?

Discussion in 'polls' started by luciddream, Jun 24, 2012.

?

How often do you dust out your computer?

1. Every month (or more often)

15 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. Every few (up to 6) months

55 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. 7-12 months

22 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. A Year+

11 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Every other/few years

17 vote(s)
    12.9%
  6. NEVAR!

12 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Ya know... get that can of compressed air out and give 'er a good hose down. How often? Also (if you want) give the specifics of your ritual, if any.

This came to mind because just a few days ago I noticed my fan running faster/louder than usual. I'd been neglecting to do this for quite some time, where I used to be very good with it in this regard (twice a year). I opened 'er up and beheld a TON of dust... the worst it's ever been. I personally blow as much out as I can with my own lungs first, and then save the can o' air for the finer detail. I take out all the drives, cords, cards (i.e. memory, PCI) too.

Now she's running nice and quiet again. That was the first time I actually heard my fan work harder/faster, because it was over-heating I reckon. By the looks of how much dust was caked all over the fans & power supply, it was understandable.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Every 1-3 months. I am trying to do it more often.
    Having a pet can add to the volume of debris that builds up inside the case, that's for sure.
    Recently, while in the process of moving one box while setting up a new machine, I took the opportunity to carry the PC outside to blow it out. (Sometimes it's fun for the computer to go for a walk.) :D
    If I don't take the box outdoors, I have begun the practice of keeping the vacuum cleaner hose running and near the fan opening while I blow out the dust, so that it collects most of the cloud. That helps.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Keep it on a leash.;) :D

4. tgell

tgell Registered Member

For me, 7-12 months is good enough for me. But I try for every 6 months.

Just remember to hold the fans with a stick before you blow them off, especially the CPU fan. If you spin them up with compressed air, they will produce a current that may feed back, causing problems.

5. STONEMAN

STONEMAN Registered Member

My main day to day PC probably gets a good clean maybe every 6 to 8 months,
    I should do it more often though!
    My other 2 PCs which I barely use haven't needed a clean as of yet,they both have good fan filters as-well which my main PC doesn't,maybe time to invest in some :eek:

6. Tsast42

Tsast42 Registered Member

Whenever it turns itself off from overheating! My ritual? I take a deep breath and blow :D

7. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

2 to 3 times a year.

8. Spiral123

Spiral123 Registered Member

oops i voted incorrectly, I meant to vote for "Every few (up to 6) months"

9. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Every 6 months

10. Tomwa

Tomwa Registered Member

I bought a package of 12 cans of compressed air of from Costco, I dust out my PC every couple of weeks otherwise my fans get blocked up with dog hair and dust.

11. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Big time. My cats figured out that the computer case is warm spot to take a nap, especially in the winter. I get the hair off of the intake grills every couple of weeks. Every few months I blow out the cases. About once a year they get a more thorough cleaning.

12. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Laptop user here. Apart from simple keyboard cleaning and wiping the screen, I've never bothered to dust out my comp.

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I got my PC on the desk and not on the floor as some do. But I suspect that those that have the PC on the floor tend to clean more often.

14. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Indeed, that is one of reasons, why I replaced PC with laptop, I just could not keep up with the dust, my room gets too dusty about once a week. :rolleyes:

15. Yakuman

Yakuman Registered Member

Started my routine of every 6 months. That's enough for some dust to accumulate in my laptop's heatsink / side vent. I use this electric duster to save money over compressed air cans.

In my experience it doesn't matter whether the PC is placed on the floor or desk - same amount of dust. It depends on whether your PC is set up with positive / neutural / negative air pressure, with the latter being more prone to a dusty case.

16. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Every few months, when it gets dirty. I keep mine on the desk so there is not a lot of dust. Putting on the floor turns it into a dust collection machine.

17. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Only when i notice it's getting high temps.
    My main desktop got it's first dust cleaning after almost 5 years of use, after i cleaned it (Did not apply new thermal paste because i didn't have it on hand) and after i turned it on, i got almost 10C° less on the CPU with OLD paste. :eek: :eek:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  18. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

About every 4/5 months. The Lian Li case is the best Iv'e had as regards dust. Unfortunately it is vey humid here which makes the task a grind i.e. difficult to dislodge dust even with compressed air.

19. woomera

woomera Registered Member

now that i have a laptop i dont but back when i was on PC every few month but i need to remind you im in a very dusty country ;)

20. Tsast42

Tsast42 Registered Member

You would think it would be standard for computer cases to block dust from getting into the machinery somehow.

21. Noob

Noob Registered Member

My computer case does not even have the side panel on. :D

22. Ashanta

Ashanta Registered Member

with a laptop, is hard to clean. :(

23. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I wouldn't even recommend cleaning a laptop if someone does knows what they are doing. :rolleyes:

24. funkydude

funkydude Registered Member

7-12 months and it gets a proper clean with compressed air.

However the external grills collect dust quite fast so every time I vacuum I usually swipe the hose across the grill.

25. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Depends on the time of year for me. I dont worry about it in the winter but in the summertime with my fans and aircon going it tends to blow a lot of dust inside which ends up in my computer.