How often do you change important passwords?

Discussion in 'polls' started by progress, Jul 22, 2009.

?

How often do you change important passwords?

1. Daily

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  2. Once a week

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Once a month

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  4. Once every 6 months

14 vote(s)
    14.1%
  5. Once a year

15 vote(s)
    15.2%
  6. More than a year

8 vote(s)
    8.1%
  7. Never

54 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. progress

progress Guest

How often do you change important passwords? Important can be defined any way you like :)

2. GrailVanGogh

GrailVanGogh Registered Member

Three to 6 months except for banking which I change out 1x per month.

3. demonon

demonon Guest

I have so many passwords that I just create strong ones.
    I don't bother with changing them.

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I create 10 character passwords of letters upper and lower case with a few numbers. How can you decide when its time to change a password. If someone starts trying to crack your password 5 minutes after you create it, then you should have changed it already. But if no one tries to crack it for 5 years, should you change it? :doubt:

5. icr

icr Registered Member

Never
    my passwords consist of both cases alphabets,symbols,numbers
    which requires years to crack

6. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Same as others have said, I create strong passwords (20 characters, upper & lower alpha and numbers), unique for each site, and don't need to change them.

7. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Clients Network Security changes them every 3 months. I am not going to do that here. Strong password is good enough. If you think someone drop in on to one of your boxes you can always unplug the network cable.

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Some financial institutions require you change you password every ninety days. Not a bad idea. :)

10. himynamaborat

himynamaborat Registered Member

I differentiate between passwords for encrypted data that requires physical access (e.g. TrueCrypt) and online passwords.

The odds that someone could steal my TrueCrypt password AND gain physical access to be able to use them are somewhere between slim and zero (closer to zero). Even if my passwords to my on-site data were stolen (e.g. keylogger), that stolen information would likely be lost with the passage of time before it ever becomes a risk. People who steal data with keyloggers want an instant and easy payoff (e.g. online banking, credit cards, etc.).

As far as online passwords, I'm less inclined to care about that than my local computer passwords. In all cases I use strong passwords that can't be guessed. So, the only way to get them is to steal them. If someone steals my bank account passwords, paypal password, etc., I'm likely to just shrug, call my bank to dispute the charges, and move on. The fact is, you would have to change your password between the time it's stolen and someone decides to use it. My guess is that would be a narrow window.

So, the answer is never for both cases.

11. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

In most cases I do not change my passwords. For important sites I use the max length allowed up to 20 characters. Less important sites normally 8 character passwords. For some sights I've used the same password for over 9 years.

If there was an option for as required, I would have picked that. Several services I use require frequent password changes.

12. suliman

suliman Registered Member

I use Lastpass and generate 20 character long passwords with random characters so I dont have to remember them :) once a year maybe, if I feel for it for some sites, I change them. Maybe I should do it more often since it is so easy when I dont have to remember them.

13. boonie

boonie Registered Member

As Ronjor said, a few of mine require a 90 day change.
    So I just change them all every 90 days.
    Strong passwords with mixed case, numbers, and special characters (when allowed by site).

14. progress

progress Guest

Do you change your password every ninety days as well? :)

15. c2d

c2d Registered Member

I create 15 character long passwords and change them every 2 months.

16. Get

Get Registered Member

Only when I forget them o_O .

17. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I only change passwords when needed. One of my current password is 36 Letters, Numbers, Special char's, tho Not many programs or sites allow them to be this long. I have passwords for things that mean nothing and 3 different passwords for things that do. The strength of the password depends on what its being used for.

18. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Only @ work every three months because we're forced to, otherwise never. Mine are typically 8-10 characters, mixture of lower & upper case, at least one number, no words found in the dictionary. Good enough for me, as I'm not the government or CIS.

19. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Like once a year, anyways i only have like 2 important passwords so it's easy :D

20. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

There is something ironic in individuals telling the entire world how often they change their important passwords, on a site dedicated to computer security.

21. I no more

I no more Registered Member

You think that's strange. Here's the password I use for all my financial institutions:

89eJ8RQI00a8sjrhue

Now, the reason I feel this is safe, even though I never change my passwords, is because you people don't know who I am. And you don't know which financial institutions I use. Good luck using it.

22. guest

guest Guest

I only use very secure passwords and I change all of them once a month.

23. progress

progress Guest

One person voted daily :eek: I would go nuts ... :D

24. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I voted once every six months but it's more like once a year, because I think they are pretty secure. :)

25. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

Never for me. With the exception of a few but only for other causes other than security reasons. :isay:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.