How often do we have to use CD/DVD cleaner?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, May 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I am just wondering if there's a need to schedule a CD/DVD cleaner tasks to clean our CD/DVD drive. Or is it more better and safer to clean it only when the cd drive couldn't read the cd datas anymore. :rolleyes: o_O

Is it more better to use CD cleaner with or using the liquid cleaner with it, or there are other way around a cd cleaner using "dry method"? Which is better and safer? o_O

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    If the drive dies - replace it, as simple as that.
    They usually die once every 2-3 years, unless you use daemon tools and overburn, in which cases they might die earlier.
    Mrk

3. Arup

Arup Guest

Most of the time,its the laser diode that gets weak over time,not the lens,and the cleaners cant solve that.Also optical brush type cleaners are made for 1x speed stand alone home audio/DVD players,putting it in a 52x CDROM is a surefire recipe for disaster.

4. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Do you mean you didn't use any CD cleaners in your pc CD drives since you've made and used your pc's? o_O :rolleyes: :eek:

And those CD cleaners sold in the shop was actually only suitable for music players...like CD walkmans or stereo cd players even if it says in the instructions that it can be used also for pc cd drives? :doubt: o_O :cautious: :blink:

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Its meant for home theaters, DVD players and the like, but the dry brush CD/DVD cleaners have not done any damage despite repeated usage to any of the four PC drives I've tried it on. Also, one of the drives did improve slightly after putting in the cleaners.

6. Arup

Arup Guest

If I suspect dust is the culprit on my brand new Optical drive,I usually open them up and clean the lens with alcohol and also put new grease on the rails etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.