How much space needed for backup image?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Tadoussac, Apr 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tadoussac

Tadoussac Registered Member

I am a noob, testing Acronis TI10.

I have a 100GB SATA drive on my laptop, and it's approx. 35% full (35GB of data). I want to create a complete backup image using TI 10, and store it on an external drive (it's a mounted NDAS drive - connected to my network router).

How large will the backed-up image be ... 100GB or 35GB? I only have about 70GB available on the external NDAS drive, and don't want to over-write or damage the data that is already on it.

Any advice, or words of caution would be appreciated.

Thanks !
    -iminj

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Normally you would get about 60% of the original used space, so of 35Gb the Image should be 21Gb if you use the default compression level. But if the majority of that data consists of music and video (which are already in a compressed format) you Image size would be greater.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

TI only images "in-use" sectors. Therefore setting the backup option to "Normal" compression, and assuming you don't have too many multimedia files e.g. .jpg, .mpg, .vob, etc. (these are already heavily compressed) in that 35GB, you will probably end up with an image file of around 24GB.

Regards

Oops! Sorry DwnNdrty, seems you type much faster than me. :D

4. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I agree the amount of space needed will be 35 gig compressed.

Have you thought about partitioning ? There are advantages to have having C: for your operating system and programs and F: for your data. If for some reason you want or need to restore your OS and programs you can do this without destroying your data. Only having one partition make life more difficult.

5. DwnNdrty

Don't have to be, Menorcaman ... at least our figures are "close enough for government work". :D :D

6. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Hi Menorcaman,

This may be slightly OT, but regarding your remark (above), I was wondering if ATI 10 has an option to perform a 'raw' image (all sectors in a partition)?

Edit: Since this is OT, I will start a new thread.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  7. Tadoussac

Thanks everyone !! You've all been very helpful.

In the end, I selected 2 of the 3 partitions on my hard drive totalling 30.0GB of data, and TI produced a 21.3GB image on the external NDAS drive (~70% original size).

TI balked at my 3rd partition, which is a 5GB TrueCrypt container ... perhaps it doesn't recognize it. This might be a separate thread ...

Thanks again !!
    -iminj

8. DwnNdrty

Have you tried the Backup using the bootable TI CD and selected Disk1 (not just individual partitions)?

9. Tadoussac

DwnNdrty:

Please explain the benefits of doing as you suggested (bootable TI CD), and the method to to this ... and I'll most definitely try it.

At the moment, I have an archive file (presumably non-bootable) on an external drive ... so you've raised my curiosity. Assuming my main drive crashed, and I installed a new hard drive, how would I boot into the back-up and restore everything o_O

10. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

You would use the bootable rescue cd which you of course created when you first installed TI. Take a look at GroverH's guides for beginners https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=168165.

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Tadoussac,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that previous posters are correct. Please also notice that you can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 10.0 Home in the respective User's Guide (particularly, chapter 10 covers the creation of Acronis Bootable Rescue Media, and chapter 6 - the restore procedure).

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.