How much ram memory for newest avira and newest avast?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by CoolWebSearch, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

I'd like to try both free and paid version, but I have one huge problem, I have only 1 gigabyte of RAM memory, would my computer freeze?
    I have a feeling that my computer's ram memory shrinks as avast and avira are expanding...
    I'm actually scared of using any of them, and they are my favorite AVs.
    But I just don't think I have enough ram memory, and that my computer would be extremely slow-because of this key problem I mentioned.
    Should I try any alternatives of antiviruses?
    On my old computer I use Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3, my new computer is not a problem, but the problem is my old computer which is used by my parents; since I want to have any antivirus for them, but I'm not sure if any antivirus supports Win XP SP3.
    Big thanks in advance to your advices.

2. blasev

blasev Registered Member

avast min req as per their website :

Processor: Pentium 3
    Memory:128 MB RAM,
    Hard Drive Space: 100 MB

avira min req as per their website :

RAM:
    Min. 1024 MB RAM (Windows Vista, Windows 7)
    Min. 512 MB RAM (Windows XP)
    HDD: Min. 150 MB available disk space (additional temporary and quarantine space needed)

so if what they told us is true, you'll be fine with either one.
    as long your parent don't use corel photoshop or heavy games :D

I've installed roboscan (dual engine anti malware) on my friend 1gb memory and pentium 4 proc just for fun. he runs thing a bit slow but it works well for him. I do not recommend installing roboscan on your pc though. ;)

you can try MSE / Panda Cloud / WSA for further benchmark

3. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

If it does, then you have other problems. Avira's recommendation for XP is 512 MB memory and Avast says it will work with 128 MB, so I don't see why 1 GB of memory won't due.

All the talk of an AV being "heavy" because of memory usage is silly. You have RAM installed to be used, not sit there idle. Anything running from memory is going to be faster than if it has been paged out to virtual memory. Disk I/O and CPU usage are the ones that will slow you down, not memory usage.

You can possibly speed things up a bit by configuring the AV the right way. Do a custom install and leave out the things you don't need. For example, I don't use an email client, so I don't install email scanning, which makes sense. That would be a process running and doing nothing constructive.

Also check to see what's running automatically at start up. A lot of software thinks it has to start with Windows when there is absolutely no reason why it should. I've seen people with around 10 to 15 icons in the tray and they had no idea what they even were.

4. anon

anon Registered Member

1GB it's enough.

17. Avira Free Antivirus 13.0.0.3499
    1. Avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1483
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Many antivirus supports Win XP SP3.
    The problem is that MS will end the support for XP SP3.....

5. Johnny123

Microsoft said they are pulling the plug on updates for MSE running on XP in April, so that may not be a good idea.

6. anon

anon Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2210409&postcount=44

7. CoolWebSearch

Thanks to all, I will try first with Avast.
    But could I use for example older versions of Avira for example, I forgot which older version of Avira was stable, maybe version 7.5?

8. anon

anon Registered Member

9. CoolWebSearch

10. bcsman

bcsman Registered Member

Not sure about Avira, but am running Avast version 7 on one of my computers as I don't like their version 8 as well. I have it set to auto update virus definitions but not do product updates and so far have not been bothered. I would be surprised if Avira didn't allow you the same settings, maybe someone here can check it out on their computer? Of course you have to install the older version and let it do a fairly large definition update to catch up, but that is where you need to make sure you tell it to not to update the program or at least notify you if you want the version updated. Do that right after the install. Then you will be good to go...

11. CoolWebSearch

I just tried Avira free 9.0.0.418 version and after this software product tries to update, it says that the product's license is invalid (and because of that it can never finish its update, no matter how much you try to update it can't because of the mentioned reasons)-what does this exactly mean?

12. anon

anon Registered Member

Avira AntiVir Version 9.x = End of Avira support: 30.06.2011

13. anon

anon Registered Member

=
    LOL

14. Johnny123

Go to their website and download the latest version, what you have there is old as the hills. Uninstall the old version first, my experience with Avira is that installing over an old version can sometimes go south.

15. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

imo with 1gb ram depending on what else is running or loads with your system it could cause some slowdown. it should not bring the system to a stop but both avira and avast are similar in weight on the system, i see some say if you have ram use it. imo to a point that is correct you do need to have some free ram available for use otherwise the system will be very slow. just because you have 4gb or 1gb available does not mean you should load the whole thing down. 1gb on xp should be enough though again as long as they are not expecting the system to run large heavy programs all at once.

16. SnowFlakes

SnowFlakes Registered Member

Still Avira free seem much smother then Avast.

17. anon

anon Registered Member

18. Johnny123

I would guess that most of the AV companies will continue to support XP for quite a while longer. It's not in their own interest to cut them off.

Microsoft, on the other hand, wants to sell them Windows 8, so it looks like they are treating the XP user like a redheaded step child to try and get him to shell out for the new OS.

19. aztony

aztony Registered Member

It might also be an issue for some XP users to transition to the new OS because of hardware requirements. Depending on what hardware they have it could mean they have to shell out $$ for a new PC.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=355464

20. Johnny123

Right, and that might be $$ that they don't have or need for things that are more important. Personally I don't see anything wrong with running XP if it does the job someone needs it for.

21. aztony

aztony Registered Member

I agree 100%.

22. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

@CoolWebSearch,
    Pentium4, 1 gig RAM, Win XP-Pro - Avast free v8 - not big at all
    AvastMemUse.jpg

I recall from a year or two ago Avira's Avguard service using over 160 meg on Private bytes.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  23. anon

anon Registered Member

o_O
    =

24. Johnny123

If you know how, you can lock XP down pretty tight. LUA & SRP along with EMET and maybe something like Comodo Firewall with the HIPS set higher than default would be a good starting point.

25. anon

anon Registered Member

Wishful thinking, imho.
    Malware writers are always one step ahead.

Malware authors will target more and more from now on this operating system, knowing that any vulnerability they find will remain there for good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.