How much more secure in win7 vs XP?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by wearetheborg, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

How much more secure is win7 vs XP?

How much more secure is win7 vs XP?

Lets assume that the user has common sense, and uses LUA for most of the part. But he/she is not a security expert.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  2. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Now a days, even a security expert could get butt slammed under the right conditions. Personally I'd have to say out of the box Win 7 is more secure even running as an Admin User. I guess it's all in the way you would have both setup and that they take advantage of the built in security MS offers depending on the version. LUA + SRP + DEP etc.. would make them pretty much even to me.

3. wearetheborg

Does XP offer DEP?

I also gather win 7 offers address space randomisation but XP does not?

4. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I think whether XP offers DEP depends on your hard drive installed. I could be wrong but I thought DEP was not available for all XP users. But you should be able to easily check and see if it is available on your system.

6. Sully

Sully Registered Member

DEP is available as a software option or if your hardware supports it (cpu), hardware option.

I don't see much less calls for help with vista/7 that I did with XP. There is a little less, but I would say it takes longer to get that problem rather than just not getting the problem. The problems still come because, at least the people I know, are clicking this and clicking that, and when UAC pops up, they click OK. They have allowed it to happen is what it boils down to instead of it just happening. End result is still the same, a BartPE disc with a copy of MBAM to install.

Sul.

7. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

It has nothing to do with a hard drive. DEP is available for XP users since DEP strictly depends on the CPU. What is not available for XP users is ASLR (though there are third-party add-ons which provide some form of it).

DEP is hardware only. There is no such thing as "software DEP," contrary to popular belief. What people call "software DEP" is actually SafeSEH which is a totally different protection mechanism all together. It has no relation to the NX bit found on modern 64 bit processors. From Wikipedia:

8. wearetheborg

Ah good, thats what I though. There is a bios option in my computer to turn DEP on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.