How much 'elbow room' do you have in your C: Drive?

Discussion in 'polls' started by AaLF, Oct 31, 2007.

?

How much elbow room do you have in your C: Drive?

1. 5Gb free in C:

6 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. 10Gb free in C:

9 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. 20Gb free in C:

15 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. 30Gb free in C:

17 vote(s)
    14.2%
  5. 40Gb free in C:

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  6. 50Gb free in C:

9 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. 60Gb free in C:

12 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. 80Gb free in C:

5 vote(s)
    4.2%
  9. 100Gb free in C:

31 vote(s)
    25.8%
  10. Free Space - its important

23 vote(s)
    19.2%
  11. Free Space - its irrelevant

7 vote(s)
    5.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

Lots of people like huge hard drives and look for the ones with 500+ at stores for some reason. When they get it back home and move all their stuff on it, >50gb at most is filled. Has anyone ever filled up their drive?

2. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

My "C" drive partitions are all quite small, 4-5GB. Most have 1-2GB of free space left, which is 50-75% full. My "C" drives contain windows itself and the program files. Documents and data are on the external drive. The swap file, browser cache, java cache, and temp file locations are on a separate internal drive and are shared by the different operating systems. With this configuration, my system ("C") drives change very little and seldom need defragging. It also keeps the garbage off of the drives which makes system backups small and fast.
    My PC is old and has very small internal drives, about 12GB between them. I was in the process of setting up a multi-boot system and quickly ran out of space for data files. In 2005, I bought an 80GB external drive with the intention of using it for data storage and system backups, freeing the internal drives for operating systems and applications. At present, my 80GB is filling up. I've been archiving files with 7zip to save space and am in the process of switching from Acronis to 7zip archives for system backups. They're a lot slower to make but are quite a bit smaller. A Win2000 test system that's 2GB compresses down to 630MB with 7zip. I'll be getting a bigger external drive as soon as my finances allow.

When I bought that 80GB, I thought it would be all I'd need. Video files and games are some of the biggest disk space users. I don't do much of either and am still running out of space. Gamers and those who work with video files would definitely need a lot of space. I can easily imagine them having hundreds of Gigabytes of files. Free disk space is one of those commodities that when you have it, you'll find uses for it. If you think that you need 80GB for everything you want to do, buy one at least 4 times that size.

3. yashau

yashau Registered Member

Haha 50GB. I'm barely living with it as it is.

4. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Depending on the machine my C partition is between 10-25GB. I mostly thinapp my applications if I can or use a virtual machine. Data is stored either locally(*), or on a NAS - network drive so I can access it from anywhere I am.

* latest acquisition 8TB RAID 5. I've also just bought a WD My Book World Edition for the family (option to format for RAID configuration.) Found a very nice site for hacking the My Book.

5. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

The free space on my %systemdrive% is 23 GB on a total of 40
    Irrelevant to me since on my C: drive I have over 200 GB left and everything I install, save and create goes there.

6. raakii

raakii Registered Member

I do the same.:)

7. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole Registered Member

Here's a layout of what I have kicking around.

Attached Files:

• dm2.png
      dm2.png
      File size:
      58.5 KB
      Views:
  8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

My C: drive is 80GB in size. On that i have 2 vista 64bit snapshots, 1 vista 32bit snapshot and a windows xp pro snapshot. Currently i have 32GB free space.

9. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

lol i am up to 2 320gb of the new wd ones in raid 0, a 1tb wd, and now a 1.5tb wd for backup storage.

even my laptop has dual 500gb wd's in it..

10. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Now i have 11.6GB for my C: partition with Windows 7, after few weeks with new Windows i have only ~1GB free space.
    I have been thinking about resize my system partition to 100GB but i wonder if it isn't too much free space :?

11. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Well over 125GB in one and about that in the other.

12. Saint Satin Stain

Saint Satin Stain Registered Member

Huntsville, AL and Greenwich Village, NYC
    I only have six GB free on C. Only the OS and programs on C. It is only 14.6 GB.. I moved my My Documents folder to the D drive, it has 92.2 GB. And the remainder, about five GB on the E drive where I keep my writing files. Windows XP only needs about ten GB or less. When I reinstall the OS only C, D a little bit, is affected.

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Got around 180GB of free space :D (HDD size is 250GB)
    It was around 80GB before but i decided to get rid of a ton of games and apps (formatted)

14. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

ive got about 1gb left on my 500gb Hard Drive, but ive already ordered another HD which should arrive in a few days.

15. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

My C drive is set at 60 gigs and has 30 gigs of space left over. I only use the C for Windows and programs. 20 gigs of that space is taken up by Returnil 2008's disc cache. All my data is on "D" and backups are on the second HD "E".

16. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have approximately 1.3 TB's free space so free space is pretty much irrelevant.
    bigc

17. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

My sea drive is < :D ggggg.

18. Get

Get Registered Member

2Gb on a 10Gb partition so I can't vote.

19. guest

guest Guest

On my Acer Aspire 5100-5033, I have 95GB free on the HDD, so I voted in 100Gb free in C:. This Acer notebook came with a 120GB Toshiba HDD.

I think that it is important to have at least 50% of the HDD free of anything. That way, defragmentation of the files can be done more easily and efficiently.

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

95Gb left of a 160Gb drive (shocks me as I have downloaded and still download a LOT).

21. Seer

Seer Registered Member

I have 2 2TB external HDDs, both almost full (less than 100GB free on each).

As for my PCs, I have several of them, so I don't think anyone would want to read my full report on partitions and free HDD space.
    I just voted for 60GB.

wtf? You're joking, right?
    Following the same logic, to hell with 50. Let's make that 10%, that way defragmentation would be even more efficient.

22. guest

guest Guest

Oh well, HDDs are so big these times, people hardly get past the 50% mark. And less occupied HDDs generally perform better.

23. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Currently using one of my "Test" HDDs.
    As of now, about 35gb free in a 40gb Western Digital SATA drive.

24. Noob

Noob Registered Member

WOW, 4TB!!
    that's a lot, i could probably fill like 2TB (Would take some times) but more than that never xD
    Imagine loosing 4TB of data :ninja:

25. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.