How Mint became one of the most popular Linux distros

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by moontan, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moontan

moontan Registered Member

cool article on Linux Mint:

http://www.techradar.com/news/softw...one-of-the-most-popular-linux-distros-1146584

2. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Im thinking of trying mint.
    I am going to download the iso and see how it goes.I fell in love with mint at 1st sight lol.

Thanks for your post.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Windows refugees. lol

Pointed analogy and fairly on target.

I don't mind admitting that Linux now that Mint (and others) have proven very reliable, is convinced me that it truly is a worthy and useful alternative to winbloze.

Appreciate you sharing the article. :thumb:

4. moontan

moontan Registered Member

glad to share! :)

been trying Mint 15 RC for the last few days.

it bugs out sometimes when shutting down or booting on.
    but it is updated every days and getting better by the day.
    it should be solid when the final is released in a week or so.
    actually, it is updated 2 or 3 times a day.
    you can tell the folks at Lunix Mint are busy gettings things ready for the final. :thumb:

i did not like Cinnamon a couple years ago when it came out but it has gotten much better over times.
    i usually stick with the XFCE version but i am considering keeping Cinnamon.
    the XFCE version should be ready in a month or so...

very impressed so far by the latest Mint 15. :)

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  5. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

Looking forward to Mint 15 :)

6. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Linux Mint is very successful because it gives most users a desktop that "just works."

It doesn't try anything radical or innovative, it just sticks to the tried and true desktop metaphor.

And Cinnamon is getting even better once the Linux Mint 15 final is released, probably by June.

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Whats the biggest differences for you guys that stand out most for you in Cinnamon as compared to Mate?

Thanks

8. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

The difference is MATE develops and continues the classic GNOME 2 user interface. Cinnamon is a fork of the GNOME 3 Shell and comes with its own window manager Muffin, its own login manager MDM and its own file manager NEMO. Cinnamon is designed to be configurable and you can set it up any way you want on the desktop, place program launchers, add applets and manage the date and time. In Linux Mint 15, Cinnamon will finally ship with a new control panel that allows a user to manage the entire desktop settings, not just the Cinnamon user interface. Basically, Cinnamon is a reworking of GNOME 3 to make it a real desktop environment.

9. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

i tried mint awhile back and found it quite good, but in the end stuck with opensuse

10. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

Mint would be a magnificent trailblazer for everything good and decent about Linux, except for one thing IMO - the maintainers go just that little bit too far with "make everything work by default."

e.g.

UFW disabled.

Samba running by default.

All kernel updates, including critical ones, held back by default.

xhost set to allow connections *from everyone* by default as soon as you log in (WTH?).

Stuff like this is what made Windows XP both super friendly and super easy to infect. Sure, there's no ITW malware for Mint... But you know, there are plenty of script kiddies out there with the tools to automatically compromise a badly configured Linux box. Step out from behind your router with a laptop running Mint, and the machine will probably be compromised in short order.

P.S. I know that the holding-back-kernels thing is because of constant regressions upstream. IMO that is the kernel developers' problem; they need to stop breaking things all the time in supposedly stable kernels, instead of just throwing stuff in and letting the distro maintainers sort things out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.