How many time to defrag&optimize?

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by Paoletto, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paoletto

Paoletto Registered Member

Hi.

I'm using just now Total Defrag (2010 version).

I have choosen options to put directories at beginning of HD and sort by smallest files.

After four days I'm still waiting the finishing, :rolleyes: .

My partition is of 40 GB with 14 GB free.

SO XP sp3, pentium 4 2,3 gz, 4 GB ram.

I thing there is a bug about graphic bars: suboperation, partition def. and overall progress are full. But defrag is not finisched.

Sometimes is updated the "work time". Instead "time to finish" is at 00:21:24 since a day.

I suppose the software is working because led of hard disk is in function and hard disk "sounds" in work.

I would to know, please, how long is normal to wait for an optimization about I described upon.

Sorry for my english.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

That is a long time. You might as well leave it to finish whenever and then try to ascertain what might have caused it. Maybe an AV or other security software is left running or hardware issues etc. etc.

3. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Paoletto, do you have a restore program installed? such as Rollback Rx? if you have this will be why it's taking so long to defrag, In fact it will run forever if you have because Paragon defrag wont be able to find what it's supposed to be defragging, other than that, does your system meet Paragon defrags minimum requirements?

4. Paoletto

Hi.

@Cudni.
    Thanks for advice.... I suppose I'll waiting the finish of session.
    Total Defrag works "offline" (in DOS). So, I suppose there is no problem with antivirus. I don't remember others security software. About hardware iussues, I don't know what kind could be a problem.

@DVD+R.
    Thanks for answer.
    About restore, mm... there are only windows system restore points.
    Well, there is also True Image, but just the program: the backups are in external unit.

Then, it's interesting the speech about system requirements. In effect, my pc it's pentium 4 3,0 gz (and not 2,3 as i wrote before). So i thing to have all requirements that i read on Paragon web-site.

At last, i don't understand what you mean when you say "because Paragon defrag wont be able to find what it's supposed to be defragging".

Now, we'are going toward 111 hours of degfrag&optimization.

PS. It would be very interesting to know if someone tried to launch a session with those two options: folders at beginning and sort by smallest files.... so... I coluld have a little comparison. Thanks.

PPS. Could be usefull to say that I made a defragmentation some hours before (just defrag, using "leave as is", not using options about folders and sort by...). That operation went on for some hours (with success), sure less then half day...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  5. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I think I read somewhere that Paragon Total Defrag is incompatible with Acronis True Image, and that you have to uninstall it before Paragon will work correctly, I will look for the article that I am refering to and get back with the info

6. Paoletto

Thank you very much.

After so many many hours... It would be not good interrupting: sure beacuse I spent a lot of time.
    But also, because I'll subjeted to data loss..... and so I'd have to reinstall the image..... :cautious: ... other time to spend....... :ouch:

(But if it was in loop..... I would not loss nothing... I don't know what is better... :doubt: )

PS. I tried to press ctlr+c to interrupt and it appears a warning pop up (the usual message about data loss). It's interersting that, while pop up was opened and software was waiting an answer, hard disk slowed down and led of case was lightninged less... till down. When I have answered "no"... led come back to lightning as before and hard disk come back to "sound" activity.... I said all this to mean that software seems in function... but -yes - it coluld be in loop...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  7. Paoletto

Sorry but... is there someone so gently to launch Total Defrag with those options "folders at beginning" and "sort by smallest files" so that I could have a comparison? Well, even in a small partition.... :(

For example, software shows that Done: 0 MB; All: 0 MB; Read: 0 MB; Write: 0 MB. I don't remember if in past defrag (simple defrag, without those options) those data (done, all, read and write) were different from zero.

I remember that those data "running" in case of work on resize partition (or creation partition).

Thanks.

8. Paoletto

Ok, after about 130 hours optimization is finished !!!! :D

Well, what do I see now? I hoped beautiful things.... max defragmentation... speedy boot... :blink:

Mah... defrag is worst than before..... (also WIN defrag says to make defrag.. :gack: )

Is it boot speeder? No, it's as before.

Is it speeder the access to folders and file? Maybe... it's early to say....

Thanks for help.

Paolo

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.