how many of these programs do I need?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by boac, Jan 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boac

boac Guest

Hello,

Since getting my new computer a few months ago I've been finding out about all the nasties out there I need to protect myself from. The thing is, the more I find out, the more programs there seem to be that I need to have. I have Norton anti-virus, Zone Alarm, Sbybot S&D and Cookies Manager. I pretty much understand what all these do. When reading up on Sbybot I found a recommendation for Spywareblaster, so I got that too. So far so good. I mostly understand how that works but I would appreciate any tips for my internet security settings concerning ActiveX now, perhaps I can disable some of the constant prompts about whether I want to allow ActiveX/scripts?

Anyway, my main question is what other programs do you experts recommend for a secure computer? I like to understand what all these things do. Do I need Ad-Aware as well as Spybot? It seems that people recommend SpywareGuard as well, can someone explain how this is different from the other stuff? What is HijackThis?

Sorry, loads of questions, but I'm eager to learn. Can't remember even half the programs I have seen recommended in various places. Basically, I'd like to protect against as much as poss without getting four programs that do the same thing and take up space and memory unnecessarily.

Thanks

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.