How many Anti's ???

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by FukenFooser 007.5, Oct 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FukenFooser 007.5

FukenFooser 007.5 Registered Member

:rolleyes:
    :eek:
    o_O
    Hello to the "wilders" group!
    Happy holiday to all.
    I am now wondering, just how many and if anybody
    knows of any, "incompatability" problems with any two or three of them?
    Am running/using,
    Spywareblaster, Spyhunter, Spybot, Ad-aware, Spycop
    Also:
    Tinytrojan trap 3, The cleaner, TDS-3, AVG, Escan, AntiVir XP
    Using Zone, XP's And the one in the router.
    Have been getting the "Reboot" quite a bit last couple dayso_O
    Am not sure what to un-install?
    Anybody out there got any advice or guidance for this newbio_O

Thanks for reading and any reply's!!!!!!!

:cool:

2. sig

sig Registered Member

Are you actually running 3 anti trojan apps simultaneously? That is, how many AT programs do you have simultaneously open and running (like resident guards, real time monitors).

Frankly, if I had TDS3 I wouldn't bother with the other AntiTrojan apps you have. Ah, edited because I just recalled, Tiny Trojan Trap....by the Tiny Personal Firewall people? That's a sand box app. To be effective (at least so I understand from comments of advanced users who have worked with it) it has quite a learning curve and isn't particularly newbie friendly.

Same question for the 3 AV's: which ones do you actually have running simultaneously? At present, EScan reportedly (using KAV engine) is apparently currently the pick of the litter for freeware AV's. Is the freebie on demand only or resident guard only? I can't offhand recall if the freeware version is limited in function. AntiVir reportedly is improving but I wouldn't have recommended it in the past at all. AVG is OK. Not great, but OK when combined with safe computing practices. But what are you actually running at any given time?

SpywareBlaster is not a running program. So I don't see how it would conflict with any other program given what it is and does. I'm not aware of any problems with SpybotS&D and Adaware. I haven't used SpyHunter or SpyCop. If I were to just blindly guess where conflicts might occur is among the AV's or AT's. Some AV's don't like it if anoher AV is just installed on the machine, even if it isn't running at all. (AVG on the other hand is known for getting along pretty well with other apps.)

XP's firewall and Zone Alarm may be ok together but I run ZA Plus alone. ICF is unnecessarily duplicative, IMO, especially if you already have a router. (Assuming the router is properly configured.)

The quality of the apps one chooses to run is more important than mere quantity. What is most important IMO is that the user understands their functions and how they may compliment oneanother rather than step on top of each other.

And the reboots may be related to something else. You haven't mentioned if you've received any error messages or anything so it's difficult to troubleshoot without info.

3. FukenFooser 007.5

:)
    Hello Sig. !!!!! Thanks for reply!!!!!!
    Running,
    Trojan Trap Agent, TC active, TC monitor, Zone, AGV, AntiVir,
    Also webshots, an IM, Avant browser.
    Usualy playing Unreal or just surfing. NOT DL anymore winmx since last "whatever it was killed my HD and lost all but learned to B_U often!"
    When you get up from floor, from
    ROFLMAO about all running App's .

The ERROR it stat's is a Device driver.
    Thats bull%$#@, Only thing changed last couple days is extra anty-SPY's and Tinytrap.
    Can run many at same, Trying it all the time. Yea I know whats supposed to happen, but I can't help myself.
    They call me the "Warden".
    Never leave door unlocked or unloaded!
    Can run any and post results, (maybe) Don't quite understand it all but learning "way to much" everyday.

Thanks again, and let me know what to post.
    :) :) :) :)

o_O

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

To simplify things you should turn off XP's built-in firewall (ICF). You have ZA running and that is enough - no need for the other.

You should also choose to make only 1 anti-virus resident at a time. You have both AVG and AntiVir running actively, right? Pick one and disable the resident on the other.

As for Tiny Trojan Trap, it could easily cause you some problems depending upon how you configured it. One of the mistakes many people make when they first install it is to go into the properties for the "unrestricted application group" and set some restrictions. If you've done that, it could be the cause...

If you do what I said above about setting only ZA and not ICF, and picking just one resident AV, and after this you still get crashes, just try disabling TTT and running for a while without it and see if you still crash. (It is easily disabled by right-clicking the tray icon and picking the disable trojan trap option. It'll stay disabled (even if you reboot) until you enable it again.

As to why you should not "restrict" the unrestricted group in TTT, see this thread (especially replies #3 and #5):

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=11871

5. FukenFooser 007.5

o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O
    :)

Thanks for the rapid reply!!!! Low water
    OK, you told how to do the easy. How about the harder,
    "turn off XP's built-in firewall (ICF). "
    Remember still learning to NOT break over here.
    Can't see anyway to reset to default on ttt,?
    Give yourself a couple KARMA points!!!!!!!!!!
    :) :) :) :) :)

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Turning off the XP firewall is done by going into: "Control Panel" > "Network Connections" > "right-click" on your network connection item > "Properties" > "Advanced" tab > and uncheck the "Protect my computer..." box (see image) > hit "OK"

If you have more than one network connection item, do this for all of them.

[​IMG]

Restart after doing this and you should no longer have ICF enabled.

Well, did you make any changes to the unrestricted application group that would need resetting?

7. FukenFooser 007.5

Thanks again to lowwatermark!

:D
    Of course I play with buttons.
    If I knew What they all did and what all the puter slang ment I would be an administrater. Like the helpful tech's here @ wilders.
    You must not have read very many of my posts, i'm clueless most of the time. And do need guidance. Thats why I'm so glad to have found this forum. It's like actually getting my brothers to help without all the sh*& and eye-rolling. (Not my fault they were hacking a "c64" while I was dating cheerleaders).

While I probebly do cause most of my stress. It's because I do the "I'll take a look at it" thing for all my friends, their kids, And manage to meet a lot of people, (Girls), that way. And have set up a junker with 98SE and a think-pad with 95, as test beds to look at when home and have time to "help" as you "SUPER Helpers", do. So please, please bearwith me once in a while if I ask the stuff most kids would know. (I've only had one to do as please with, for less than 2y, & online about 1y)
    Thinking back, checking notes, (very important = to, Back-up's).
    Tiny trojantrap was last install and I have turned it off.
    And when restart after quick trip to local tav to play a couple games of foos @ closing time. All seems well but won't know 4 sure untill getting this baby heated up.
    Would like to post a port scan or running app's type of thing for somebody to checkover and ease my mind of all the stuff it's been full of lately,(have sock over webcam, mic unplugged), just not sure of "who made who".

But still running way to much stuff I'm sure.
    I do really thank all the tech's here, help me or any of the other post's. We won't be clueless forever.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

8. JayK

JayK Poster

Looks like you have locked yourself in this time lol.

9. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hey Fooser.

Wow! I thought I was a tester! ;)

You are running TDS-3 and the Cleaner?
    I have both programs also.
    I update TDS-3 and use it to scan weekly.
    TCActive and TCMonitor are running as residents at startup.No problems here.

I would use only one a/v as resident.
    What version of eScan do you have?
    The eScan Pro 2003 may cause problems with a firewall because it has a firewall included.
    When I tried to install that particular program there was no custom install.It's a total install or nothing.
    eScan Pro(not 2003) wasn't a bad a/v.

You won't miss the XP firewall.

10. Testwhat?

Testwhat? Guest

Just what exactly are you testing?

11. FukenFooser 007.5

:) :) :) :)
    Thanks for the reply's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:
    I am testing this system. I got bugged and/or Hacked a couple weeks ago and after removal,(I hoped it is/was gone), All the research, "more tester's", On-line scans, my HD took a dump, And I the rookie had not done a very good back-up. Of course I lost a bunch.
    So now I'm just trying to get system stable. And was doing well untill randome rebooting. That is/was a issue with me playing with too many buttons on the "tinytrojantrap". System seems stable again, took advice and turned off ttt.
    But being unsure/uninformed as to what all the stuff is that is running, in the background so to say, would like to have an expert look over a post of a scan of some sort. Just let me know that to post and I could probebly find it, (if I don't have it) and do it.

I am so glad to have found this forum. "Learn something new everyday if, paying attention".

:D :D

12. FukenFooser 007.5

o_O o_O o_O
    Oop's,
    eScan AntiVirus Toolkit Utility ver 2.2.3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.