How long?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DavidinCalif, Dec 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidinCalif

DavidinCalif Registered Member

I'm using TI 9, latest build (2302) and am trying to create an image of Drive C to place on Drive D, where there is plenty of room. I have a P3, 2.4 ghz computer with 512 Mb of RAM. My C: drive compressed, according to TI, will take almost 8 Gigs. The operation is supposed to take 1.5 hours according to the set-up, but when I start the process, the meter shows the image creation will take 3 hours. I recall that TI 7 created the same image in a third of the time. Is 3 hours normal for 7 Gigs? If not, what is slowing the process.

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Sometimes I have found the initial estimate to be totally incorrect - too high. Did you let it run to see if it lowers the estimate substantially after a short while into the process?

3. DavidinCalif

DavidinCalif Registered Member

It took 2 hrs 40 minutes, which includes making the image and checking it. No idea if this is par for the course.

4. dosdoxies

dosdoxies Registered Member

Backing up and verifying my main drive (78 GB) last week took about 3 hours. I'm using TI9 2302 and a USB 2.0 external 200GB Seagate drive.

5. jd91651

jd91651 Guest

I'm using the same version/build and have noticed that v9 does take longer than either version 8 or the norton ghost9 that I have also used.
    In fact about 2-3 times longer. I "think" I remember reading some threads here about that being a known "issue" they are addressing.
    In the mean time though...
    You can improve that time by changing the backup priority setting
    in Tools-> Options -> backup priorities (left window)
    The default is low but setting it to normal doesn't affect my system much at all (I have a high end system though). IF you are not planning on doing anything else you can set it to high but word of warning... you will have difficulties doing anything else at that high setting.
    FYI: You are also offered a screen in the backup wizard to change settings so you could change it on a per backup basis also if you want.

Closing out other running programs ( and the junk in the system tray)
    can improve things to.
    Disabling your virus scan during the backup will help too

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't know if we are dealing with apples and oranges but I did an image of my C drive containing 9.34GB of files(image was about 7GB) on my P4 2.8Gz, 1GB mem to a logical drive on the same SATA physical disk from within Windows XP SP2 using TI9 Ver 2302 and it took just under 8 minutes without the image verification. Verfication would essentially double the time to 16 min or so. The image was split into 650MB files.

This is about the same time it would have taken DriveImage2002 to do the image and it would have booted into DOS to do it.

Doesn't make sense unless what you did was a lot different than what I did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.