How long until Isolation/sandboxing software is the norm?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by cheater87, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I see them being the products of the future as signature products can't get everything.

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

reading recent results of signature based AVs against 0-Day malwares is an eye opener i think.

it's true that most AV programs are more than just virus detectors as many includes heuristics and behavior detectors.

still, i like the concept of programs like Defensewall, Geswall and Sandboxie as they seem to do a very good job while being light apps compared to traditional AV's.

3. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

until microsoft merge sandbox functionality to the windows core;

4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Agreed. Sooner rather than later, and not before time :)

They must be super easy to set up and use for regular users though. Even so i can envisage many people forgetting to save wanted stuff/info etc into a dedicated area/folder, and losing lots of work/files etc. At least until they get the hang of it anyway. But that negative experience might put them off permanently.

5. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

What I have found about Sandboxing is that very quickly, after I started
    using Sandboxie, every thing that I did became second nature so I have
    never lost a file because I forgot to recover it. With Defense Wall, it was
    even easier, learning, because all files remain on the computer. I think if
    people understand the concept about this type of programs, learning them
    is easy and makes your internet experience more enjoyable and safer. No
    infections since I started using Sandboxie and/or Defense Wall two years
    ago made a believer out of me that this is the way to go.

Bo

6. Boost

Boost Registered Member

The norm?

Welp,it's up the the user behind the keyboard,if it is their end goal. For me,once I realized how it all worked,there's no way I'm ever leaving it :thumb:

7. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Haha they allready did. The guys from Google used it for their internal sandbox, how it works?

in short resuce rights and assign limited token, assign a job object to prevent assessing user handles outside the job, allowing only access to restricted tokens, prevent clipboard access, etc. Finally it assigns it to an alternate desktop to prevent messages going out (the issue which can't be solved through API's by Tzuk in Sandboxie).

So what are you all whining about? It is there grab it and use it :D

8. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

It won't become the norm until it doesn't interrupt normal computing. So probably never.

9. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

It won't become the norm until it doesn't take thought, and doesn't interrupt normal computing. So probably never (sandboxes currently require that they be used in a specific way)

10. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I would guess incorporation of sandbox/virtualization in the OS- even if it is well designed and implementation is straightforward- will have little effect except to become a lightning rod for angst.
    The vast majority never used LUA or SRP; they don't even know what those acronyms represent.
    UAC in Vista (and Windows 7 to a lesser degree it seems) was and still is hated for it's intrusiveness and for slowing down the user and actually making them think about what they're about to do and make a decision.

I believe that virtualization has to be a function the user understands the value of and wants to have. It must be a voluntary addition to the array of applications employed. Anything else will be considered as an unnecessary hurdle and widely criticized.
    Work-arounds will be sought and found- some are bound to severely compromise system security.

We should know by now;
    people will not accept security getting in the way of using their computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.