How long to resize a partition?

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by furtive, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furtive

furtive Registered Member

I'm running the free version of Partition Manager on my PC to resize the primary partition. The drive is 1Tb and is about half full, and I'm creating 2 equal sized partitions of about 500Gb.

The software rebooted my machine to get control of the drive. and the GUI seems to have locked up a the "moving" stage but there is still disk activity so I assume that it is still working ok. However is is saying it has done 0.0Mb

Any idea how long I'm going to have to wait for it to complete the process? And if I try and ESC out of it what are the chances that my drive will be corrupted?

Thanks

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello furtive,

The numbers all depends how much data you have and how fragmented your hard drive was.

I strongly advise NOT to interrupt any of the processes or it will surely render your system unbootable.

I'm assuming you shrunk the 1TB partition from the right side to left, 500GB, and will create a 2nd partition out of the free 500GB?

Creating the 2nd partition will take less than minutes, but shrinking will surely take hours for 500GB.

3. furtive

Thanks Tommy

I don't mind if the system is unbootable as I'm sticking Win7 on it. I don't want to loose any data though so I'll leave it to run.

Yes, that's how I shrunk it.

4. furtive

Well I left it and it didn't take very long at all. The display did update saying it would take 19 hours, but 2 hours later it was all done and had rebooted with everything working as expected.

Thanks

5. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi furtive,

Thanks for the update. Glad it went well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.