How long to clone a drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jaymac, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaymac

jaymac Registered Member

havibg a new hard drive installed the guy asures me he will be able to transfer everything Op programmes e., to the new drive .I think it might be a good idea to clone to my external drive prior to this How straightforward is this and app how long to transfer ap 50Gig I have already done a backup to this but understand thats not the same as cloning .

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

No the backup is not the same as cloning but it can be used to restore to a new hard drive. Read How to restore to a replacement hard drive. If you use this option make an image just before you have the new drive installed in your machine. How long cloning will take depends on your machine. Backups on a typical 2GHZ machine are about 1GB/MIN. If you search the forum you will find some more info on timings. You don't need to clone to your external. As I mentioned earlier a backup image can be restored to your new drive. If you do a clone to your external drive be sure to disconnect the external before rebooting. Its your choice.

3. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

On ATI, how long would it take (approx) to restore a 140GB or so entire HDD0?

My archive is on an external hard drive and the cpu is 3Ghz.

4. thomasjk

Is that the image size or the size of the hard drive? How much free space is on your 140GB hd?

5. Escalader

It is the whole drive=149gb

4 primary partitions

1. utilities locked total= 47 mb, free 40 mb
    2. c wind xp sp 2 active total= 18.1gb, free=5.1gb
    3. restore locked total=3.5gb, free= 1 gb
    4 f for user data total=104 gb, free=100 gb

Free space 5.1+ 1+ 100 GB= 106.1 GB + 40 mb locked

Hope this is enough detail

6. jaymac

jaymac Registered Member

Still no wiser whats the point of a backup if the whole drive has been cloned surely thats enough. What use is the backup in my case if it does'.nt have all the programmes etc., Appreciate it might get the pc running but thats not the object of the exercise. I just want to know if I clone to my external drive will this be a safety net should this guys method go pearshaped .

7. thomasjk

The whole point of a complete disk backup is to do exactly what you want, i.e. give you the ability to restore all of your installed programs along with the operating system. You may want to read these guides so you have some understanding of what you are able to do Need Help? These Beginner's Guides May Fill That Need!.
    Yes your clone will be a safety net, but in order to use it you will have to install the drive that is in your external housing as the boot drive or clone the backup drive to your new drive. Creating a backup image of your entire drive will also work.

8. thomasjk

Ok you have 106GB free out of 149GB. TI only backs up the in use sectors, that is about 43GB that is used. Depending on your machine thats about 40-50minutes to backup the entire disk.

9. Escalader

Yes, it took me 25 minutes to restore the drive and about 15 minutes to create the archive. I use Paragon but the times seem similar.

Thanks for the verification that I'm not being snookered by my vendor.

10. jaymac

jaymac Registered Member

Thanks already did a back up though cant see how that could contain all my programs . If I clone to my external would that just sit alongside everything else on the external or would it wipe everything out .I understand I need to disconnect the external prior to the first reboot after cloning to it . And yes I would have it as a safety net to transfer from it to a new drive

11. thomasjk

If you did a backup and checked the box next to the disk number then ALL OF YOUR PROGRAMS are included. Thats the way TI works. If you did a Files & Folders backup then your programs are not included. Which one did you do? If you now clone to that same drive you will wipe out everything on that drive.

12. jaymac

jaymac Registered Member

Have'nt a clue which I did just followed one of the guides no recall of being told to tick a box . So what you are saying is If clone to the external drive that will wipe out everything on that drive including the existing backup on there. What if I ceate a new backup and tick the box would that leave everything intact and would I have to delete the previous backup

13. thomasjk

Yes.

Assuming your using V10 then you would select "My Computer" then select Disks and Partitions (not sure of the exact wording here) then click on next and check the box next to Disk 1. Click next and follow the wizard to create your backup file. You can either replace the existing file or create a new one. Be sure to select "Create a New Full Backup Archive". Review the guides I suggested to you earlier.

14. jaymac

jaymac Registered Member

Ok think I got it thanks for your advice and patience Tom

15. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Paragon uses Linux for restores. The only ones I know of that don't use Linux, use DOS.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.