How Long Must You Wait for an Anti-Virus Fix?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bigc73542, Feb 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Link to story: http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/columns/executive_tech/article.php/3316511

2. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Thank you for this very interesting post to mul over. I've always kind of wondered what kind of lag time there was between a virus being discovered and a cure coming out. I know that when a new virus appears, the code must be analyzed and a fix engineered. Was there any mention as to whether all of this is done manually? o_O I would think that having a computer do it (analyze and engineer a cure) would cut the lag time down conciderably, maybe to almost nothing. Of course, with a new and unknown virus this probably couldn't be done. Maybe someday.
    You've given all of us something to think about. I must say that I'm not too happy with my AV's preformance as far as lag time is concerned. Definate changes might be in order.
    Thanks again for this information. A cookie for you. :D

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

From what I have read the new defs are reverse engineered by hand It is a wonder they get out as fast as they do.. My panda updates between six and thirty five def a day. That seems like a little work involved. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.