How is your Set up?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by heyUthere, Oct 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyUthere

heyUthere Registered Member

It is always great to keep your EyE out on brand new encryption software.

Elliptic curve cryptography (ECC)software seems promising but the only thing I am unsure about is that there happens not to be an attack on it. I like free encryption software it is true that they have nothing to lose at
    all. No laws, money problems, blackmail etc to force a company to put backdoors, get key info or in other words make it SNAKE OIL. Paid software you got to watch out for.

My SeT Up
    I love using full disk encryption, I tried TrueCrypt my windows machine and it was cool but I am also using LoopAES on my linux box, I trust it. NOW, I use CAMELOID for secure voice communication needs, it is new and very interesting/flexible. And I use Off the record (OTR) for GAIM plugin encryption. I used the gaim-encryption plugin I still recommend it but I use OTR. for all my private instant messages now.

FULL DISK: TRUE CRYPT/LOOP AES http://loop-aes.sourceforge.net/
    VOICE: CAMELOID http://cameloid.sourceforge.net/
    INSTANT MESSAGES: Off the record (OTR) for gaim
    http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/

Encryption is all we got in this World.
    HOW IS YOURS?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Don't lose your passwords. It is my observation, that many people end up protecting themselves against themselves because they forget passwords. Do you really need this protection?

3. Beef

Beef Guest

Why do people come to a security forum if not to learn about security an encryption is a major part of having a secure computer.
    The question asked was: "do you really need this protection" an my simple reply would be: "WHY NOT" ?
    IMO the only person's who would oppose the use of encryption is goverment agencies and hackers. Already encryption is restricted or forbidden in several countries an the peoples of those countries have one less security program to protect their privacy. Now why would anyone, anywhere want to restrict encryption if not to make it easier to invade a person's computer and that person's life. Freedom is very precious an should never be taken for granted.
    Every computer owner in the world should use encryption or at the very least download an encryption program and have it ready for use. Soon the day may come when all governments will ATTEMPT the restriction of encryption so be prepared it certainly does no harm to do so but may do much harm if you don't prepare.
    An question anyone who offers resistence to encryption or any decent security program.

4. heyUthere

heyUthere Registered Member

You see right there that is the kind of attitude that should be embraced
    ... Thank you Beef, it too bad you got to respond first. :)

A person who is Serious about encryption and the use of it will be discipline enough to use it wisely. And you know what, If you forget your password then be assured that if you can get it no one will. That is how many people and I feel. (without getting into other problems with Encryption like poor implementations, attacks, sabotage, etc) We live in an age that the places that are not using export-class encryption or outlawing it are not using it because it seems like there is no need to. Check the news everything follows CALEA. Maybe many people will soon find out the hard way that it is vital now. It is funny, everytime you do not use encryption, someone can hear you.
    Nothing wrong with using encryption in everything, some do.

5. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Hi. I don’t have any objections to people wishing to use encryption software, but I do have some observations in relation to some of the questions and idea's posted here :

Why Not :
    1. It costs money
    2. Re-encrypting all the time would be a hassle <guess>
    3. What if I forget my password
    4. I doubt they encrypt info you send over the internet <guess>, unless you're using a good anon proxy - which would be second encryption program, and they have their own hassles
    5. I personally don’t see any personal benefit in them <apart from passwords stored on my computer, and visiting banking/credit card sites>

Fair enough

Absolutely correct. A few comments though :

1. There is no such thing as absolute freedom (which is anarchy by another name)
    2. Individual freedom (rights), need to be balanced by community rights
    3. Society needs rules to function by, in order to live together peacefully <some examples include morals, cultural values, norms, and laws.>
    4. As society, the environment, and technology changes, new morals, values and norms form. Laws may become outdated or inadequate to deal with these changes.

This is possible, though appears unlikely in western countries. A much more likely scenario, is they would attempt to make it easier for govt to access encrypted computers.

Of course, in certain cases, there is nothing at all wrong with the govt wishing to access someone’s encrypted computer.

6. Beef

Beef Guest

Open discussion is the sharing of opinions agreeing or dis-agreeing an all persons should jump in an share .

Encryption does not cost money....not one penny.

Re-encryption is done on the fly in a matter of seconds

Forgetting a password can happen just as well with an e mail account as with an encryption program but that does not prevent people from using e mail

Encryption over the internet is very common practice an has been for many years FE: internet explorer uses encryption...........with private encryption programs its ever so easy to send an encrypted <exe> file to anyone in the world an they need not have or even use an encryption program an the encrypted <exe> file will de-crypt for the person receiving the e mail containing the encrypted <exe>

After 911 laws in the U.S changed. This is not the forum to express likes or dis-likes of those changes. However, attempts have already been made by certain agencies to add restrictions to computers and the internet. Even prior to 911 certain governments made outlandish attempts to place trojans on the computers of innocent people plus governments set-up and operated websites used for the sole purpose of tracking the websites User.....children were encouraged to use such websites.....an when finally revealed that the Sites were government spy sites the Sites vanished but not before the security community tracked them. This is old hash.

"anarchy" as has been mention is taught in the fourth grade an is hardly associated with the use of Encryption. The word FREEDOM is used not in a political context but as a reminder that numerous countries have already restricted the use of encryption so what prevents other countries from doing the same... except for a handful of privacy advocates that refuse to give up the tattered Civil Rights that a Consitution continues to maintain

Use or don't use encryption. That choice is for each computer user to make.

7. Beef

Beef Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.