How is this site setting cookies?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Mayahana, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I'm puzzled...

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/17/gotham-empire-season-2/

I have Tab Cookies, which clears any cookies opened on tabs once the tab is closed. But Tab Cookies isn't showing any cookies being set. I also block third party cookies, those aren't showing anything. I also block cookies on my UTM (Untangle Appliance). Yet this site sets over a DOZEN cookies as shown when I monitor them in the content settings.

Anyone have any idea how these are being set, and how to prevent such bypasses to my privacy protections other than blocking all cookies?

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

A necessary condition seems to be that JavaScript needs to be allowed on both ew.com and timeinc.net for those cookies to be set. If I have both Ghostery and AdBlock Plus (on Firefox) enabled though, no cookies are set even when those two domains are allowed to run JavaScript.

3. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

uBlock with all databases, and it's not blocking it. Sounds like I need to augment uBlock...

4. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

uBlock doesn't seem to have a database, or capability to block this.

I have examined Ghostery, and determined that the 'beacon' database aspect is what is blocking it..

5. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Ghostery is heavy, and seems to slow down pages. I am extremely sensitive to any speed changes on my systems (high end gaming rigs), especially with browsing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.