How is the Online Armor firewall coming along?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by CJsDad, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Haven't heard anything.
    I know its still in beta but to anyone here that uses it, how is it?
    Do you like it?
    Do you think it will be worth while when it is finally released?

2. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

It`s coming along great Yes and Yes to the rest.

3. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Thanks beetlejuice. :thumb:
    I'm looking forward to trying it when it is released, I'm just not a beta user so I'll have to wait I guess.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

5. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Is there any other general info on the OA FW that you can post about?
    I know when an app is still in beta its sort of hush-hush and that is understandable, i'm just trying to get an over all idea about the firewall.
    Things like ease of use, protection (leak test) etc.
    I saw some screen shots of it and it doesnt seem that complicated to use but pictures are one thing, using it is another.

6. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

I read from https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=151340 that OA FW is still under development but an interim bug fix release for OA will be issued shortly. You may want to check the support forum at Tallemu for more information.

7. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

I read the forums over at Tallemu but I was just trying to see what the actual users of the firewall thought about it so far.

8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

The firewall is coming along well.

There are a number of options, from,.. allowing programs access based on whitelists (for ease of use)- up to the creation of rules yourself for each application (for advanced) with various option in between, such as "autoconfigure trusted programs".
    There is also an option to intercept all localhost comms(if this is prefered)

These have still to be implimented.

9. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi CJsDad,

Any of the Beta test team may post anything they like about the firewall's current status at their discretion - it's not quite so hush-hush any more. I'll give my own answers to the questions here too.

Ease of use: In Standard mode, OA firewall is almost zero configuration (subject to size of whitelist, which we're also working on). Basically, what happens is TRUSTED(centrally) programs are automatically allowed internet access with no prompt. (this can be changed to prompt, if you prefer)

There is no concept of "Act as a server" or "Access the internet" like the old versions of ZoneAlarm - on the basis that the average user won't understand it and it's just another annoying prompt. So, if the program is not recognised then there is a simple "Foo.exe wants to access the internet".

There are still some outstanding issues with the FW - these are being worked on, and I am hoping that we will go to public beta at the end of the month. (Although, I was hoping the same thing last month).

Lastly, leaktests, as Stem mentioned are not yet implemented. This is a function of the Kernel Mode version of OA. The kernel mode version of OAFW has not yet been released to our full beta team - it still has a few issues, and I'm trying to focus on FW first - but it works nicely aside from the odd BSOD. Once it's stable, it's a matter then of implementing the internal rules to pass the leaktests.

At the same time, we'll be using the driver capabilities to extend the features of OA (for example, process protection like PG - OADriver is capable of resisting the APT kill methods already (havent checked the last release tho))

Cheers

Mike

10. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Thanks Mike, and to the others as well.
    Looking forward to giving the OA FW a try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.