How is the configuration editor used?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by pc-support, Mar 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

And once you've configured nod32 to be 'maxed out' on a machine, can you copy a config file to take to other machines?

:D

2. pc-support

Forgot to say - I've searched the forums and cant find an answer that doesnt refer to RA. I'm not using RA! Its for standalone installations...

3. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

I'll be watching this thread to see how you go with an answer for that one....could be usefull :)

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You can create a config file with predefined settings using the configuration editor, save it as nod32.xml and put it to the nod32 installation folder before you start installing NOD32.
    If you have already installed NOD32, it should be enough to export the desired entries from the Eset registry branch and import that on another computer.

5. pc-support

What about username and password during installation. Will it ask for them or will it try to read the blanks from the xml config file and fail?

6. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

Marcos,

as the installer generally creates the folder C:\Program Files\Eset - is the user supposed to create this folder and copy the nod32.xml to this folder, or does the nod32.xml need to be in the same folder as the installer?

Sorry, but "nod32 installation folder" isn't fully descriptive enough... at least for me! ;)

regards

Greg

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Sorry for not to be clear enough - I meant the folder from which setup.exe is run (ie. program files\eset\install by default)

8. webyourbusiness

ok - this isn't the easiest to work out, but I had managed to work out which folder by trial and error before I got your reply Marcos.

There is a problem here to my way of thinking - the installer created these folders, and then begins installing immediately ... you have to pause and copy in the file...

Another quick question...

why do my scheduled events not get backed up to the XML file when I request a configuration from the remote administration console?

This means I have to once again add a daily full system scan manually AFTER I complete my install... it would nice to cut that step out.... don't you think?

cheers

Greg

9. CyberMew

CyberMew Registered Member

Can I know where to get the configuration editor?

10. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Since I don't have the configuration editor since I have a stand-alone install, what's the path for the registry entries for Eset? Searching for Eset brings up a lot of false matches.

HKLM ... o_O or what?

11. alglove

alglove Registered Member

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Eset

The Remote Administration Console also puts entries in the corresponding HKEY_CURRENT_USER branches.

12. msanto

msanto Registered Member

OK, so I uninstalled 2.50.16 and installed 2.50.19. I used the .reg file I had saved earlier from 16 to update the settings. However, I noticed that when I rebooted and ran an update it was downloading engine files!

I looked at the NOD32 version and it was 2.50.16. Like it had reverse updated and downloaded the old files.

So I installed 2.50.19 ON TOP of the install I now had (of 2.50.16) ... I then exported the registry entries and examined them. I noticed a LOT of differences.

Like there were entries about (these are paraphrased) the exact build numbers of components, whether or not an old install was found, and actually there appear to be a lot of other differences between 19 and 16. Like an entry for a quarantine directory.

Anyway, it looks (to me) like what happened was after using the .reg file to update the registry to get the settings back, it noticed that I should have the 16 engine files and downloaded them.

There's gotta be an easier way. Perhaps I need to ALWAYS install on top and then re-export the registry settings every time?

Anyway, I like the configurability, but there's gotta be a better way, since there are SO MANY things to configure on this product.

13. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Could someone just post a *.reg file with the optimal settings stored and instructions about "when-to-do-what", or something in a small *.zip file?? ;)

14. CyberMew

CyberMew Registered Member

Any replies on this?

15. webyourbusiness

The configuration editor is installed with the "Admin" version of NOD32 - it's not part of the regular workstation install, or even available as a standalone installer (to my knowledge) - if you have access to the admin version, you can install that version instead of a regular workstation, then run your own network mirror, and edit config files using the configuration editor. It might also be installed when you install the remote administration system too... but I can't confirm or deny this without a little more time.

hth

Greg

16. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

OK I am bringing this issue back to the top.

So, just to confirm, there is or is not a way to export NOD32 settings to a reg file (or some other fashion) to install on a different computer or to reinstall on an existing one.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Jag

17. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

the answer is not with the standard version, only with the admin version.

Cheers :D

18. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

will this be addressed in the next nod32? considering all the options in nod32, a settings export/import function would prove useful.

19. Blackspear

It has been added to the "Future Changes to Nod32" thread at the top of the forum, so hopefully the answer will be yes...

20. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Blackspear,

Thanks as always, I will pass this info along to my colleague.

Regards,

Jag

21. Blackspear

My pleasure...

22. pc-support

Ermm...

The settings of any version of nod can be exported. Run regedit and go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Eset
    Click once on 'Eset'
    Click on the 'Registry' menu
    Choose 'Eport Registry File'
    Save the settings to whereever you want and that it done.
    When you need to add it to an existing nod installation simply double click on the saved reg file and choose yes when windows asks if you want to merge the file.

I carry the reg file around on a usb pen drive. Very handy for customers pc's!

23. Blackspear

Thank you very much for this, it will indeed come in very handy...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2005
  24. hadi

hadi Guest

All the manual changes made. for example BSFS (Blackspear's Famous Settings) and user/pass also transfered. So you need to re-apply customer's user/pass
    update>setup> enter customer's ID's (his user/pass )to override the trasfered ID.

25. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi Blackspear
    its super handy BS. I have been using it for a long time to re-apply your BSFS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.