How is the Comodo Internet Security(CIS) Sandbox?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by wearetheborg, Aug 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

I've read some conflicting opinions in some other threads...how is it compared to say Sandboxie?

Does it work better/as well as Sandboxie for 64 bit systems? Say XP-64?

2. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

I would say the sandbox is still weak, I would use Sandboxie not only because I have had better experiences with it, but be cause it is much more customizable .

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

what do you mean when you say "weak"? In what respect is it so? And can the firewall in version 5 be used ok?

BTW- I would also like to find a program where I could download to a sandbox like what comodo has or online armor's run safer. Are there any others that would work just for downloads to run until you see they are safe?

4. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

I have had no problems at all with the Firewall, it works just as well as in V3 and V4. But what I mean by weak is, I have run across many malware samples that the sandbox and CIS alone treat as a "safe" application (therefore it is not sandboxed).

Hmm I'm now 100% sure I understand what you mean about the second part, but with Sandboxie you can download the file, upload it to VirusTotal via right-click>send-to and then once you close your browser, you may set it to prompt you to recover everything in a set folder from the sandbox. I hope that helps :)

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

So Comodo does not have an option to run all downloads in sandbox by default?

6. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

COMODO, depending on how you have it set-up, will decide what is and isn't sandboxed depending on if it is a "safe" application, or from a COMODO trusted vendor. I prefer the flexibility of Sandboxie instead.

7. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

I think Comodo's sandbox is not a traditional sandbox, it does not isolate space on the HDD for programs to run. It uses Defense+ to restrict the system modification for malicious files. I read this on the Comodo forums a while ago but i'm not sure about this, mybe someone will explain better.

I like Sandboxie better because it does not put unknown applications in sandbox like Comodo and it's more customizable.

8. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

I quite like Sandboxie too, but it doesnt install on XP-64 :(

Is there an option in Comodo to run say Firefox or any other program in the Sandbox whenever I choose, with all the scripts etc run in the sandbox, all the downloads to the sandbox; with the downloads being recoverable?

Or does Comodo itself decide what will and what will not be run in the sandbox with the user having no choice?

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

This, it's not like SandBoxie, it has a different approach :D

10. guest

guest Guest

Is the sandbox weak? could you provide any proof?
    I run inside the sandbox 0-day malware almost (10 or 15 files) everyday and I couldn't find still anything able to baypass the sandbox.

For Comodo sandbox the user experience is the same in 32 and 64 bits sytem.

11. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

You can set some programs to always run in the sandbox or you can right-click on them and run them manually. (the right-click feature still doesn't resolve shortcuts, however)

12. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

You can specify in the settings whether the sandbox virtualizes registry and file system writes. Everything will be stored in the Vritualroot folder (yes, it's spelled that way. :rolleyes: )

You can set it up not to run unknown apps in the sandbox.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.