How is Norman Antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Ibrad, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Currently I have the ability to get Norman Antivirus one year license for free. How is the detection rates of Norman, how good is it's real time shield?

2. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I only tried it twice in these years, but it was a bit heavvy, so I can't say. If you trust the test, you can look at virus.gr, virus bulletin and av-comparatives.

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Honestly, i'd rather use avast! 5 Free Antivirus than any Norman... even if i could get a free license.

4. lonelywolf

lonelywolf Registered Member

It has improved in my opinion. A good choice alongside say prevx safeonline.
    I am currently using it, but I am using it alongside Shadow Defender as well as the free facebook promotion of safeonline, with no slowdowns. I like what I see, an improved GUI albeit opening slowly sometimes, it is scanning slowly but overall not bad. It is not slowing down my system, an older PC. The firewall component is surprisingly very good, no hips as far as I can notice though, just some sandboxing capabilities.

5. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Thanks for the information everyone :D

6. Subgud

Subgud Registered Member

Hi!

I have tried norman as I get it from my bank for free. I think norman is a lightweight program. Easy to use. But if you chech around the net for test of norman they score very poorly.

You can see from av-comparatives for example. Norman has scored extremely low the last couple of years. The same if you read the test over at pcmag.com.

Not to say anything bad about norman, but I`ll think you will find better antivirus for free. Avira 9 free or avast 5.0 free. They are very good ones.

7. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

If I had to pick a word to describe their detection rates the word abysmal comes to mind.

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

it was terrible when i used it.

9. NobleT

NobleT Registered Member

i am using NSS8.0 beta now
    Franking speaking.NORMAN have many processes,but not slow down your pc.but the detection is medicore or absymal,and on the other words,if you submitted virus sample to them you will despaired,i submitted 36 sample to norman sandbox yesterday,none of them added to their signature.the all samples not be detected by sandbox,so they thought,the sample is not a virus..................oh...ridicious thinking:oops:

10. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

So they have no other way of submitting them files other than the sandbox? That is an odd way of doing it, I wonder if they thought about if their sandbox does not detect it?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  11. gery

gery Registered Member

yes i saw that fact and really wondered if that was the case.
    Now i do not want to make a prediction but it is going to be heavy

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I have used Norman in the past and was shocked at how light it was. I was very surprised. It is a great suite, its detection ability keeps shooting it in the foot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.