How is good SSM + Prevx?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by c0ltran3, Nov 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c0ltran3

c0ltran3 Registered Member

I have used Abtrusion Protector as an additional to AV and FW. As AP is out of date I think of changing it with System Safety Monitor mixed with Prevx.
    How is good SSM + Prevx?
    Any suggestion? What do you think about it?

2. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Both of these products zonked my system but good. I think it was Prevx that really caused the damage. Anyways, I think all of the products in this category are still in their formative stage, so I would be careful when installing them. Especially if are installed at the same time. They can cause as much damage as the nasties they are trying to protect you from.

I have PG 3.0 free running on my system right now and it is behaving quite well - but I didn't install it until I had (what I thought to be) a good image copy. Actually, I am still looking for some image copy software that would protect me in case my system was damaged again by "the nice guys". I would highly recommend that you have an image copy of your hard drive before you experiment with these low-level products. However, others probably have different experiences. It all depends ....

Rich

3. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Personally I've got my doubts about these low level progs too. Since I installed the full version of PG3 I have suffered sporadic freezes so complete that the only way out is to disconect the power source. No one else seems to have had this problem so I cannot positively ascribe it to PG. All I can say is it never happened before I intalled PG - it could be an interaction with something else, but I don't know what.

I wouldn't even consider combining all these products together, it's asking for trouble as bad as being infected in the first place!

For me, I have no room for Prevx, due to duplication of functionality with PG and my Anti-Spyware products. Similarly, I wouldn't consider SSM, 'cos PG and my FW is enough. If someone wants to argue that all these products have something slightly different to offer and therefore supplement each other, they can do so; but I am going to need to feel at much greater risk of infection before I put them all on my machine! :(

4. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi TopperID,

Seems like we have had similar histories. I've become a lot more conservative on what I install and where I browse. This helps the most. If I had a clean image copy of my system, I would be feeling really at ease - but so far I haven't been able to take one.

I've got PG 3.0 installed with the basic settings along with ZA Pro, KAV 4.5.97, and BOClean. I usually start Giant AS after I have restarted my system. I am not purchasing PG 3.0 and any of the extra features until there is much better documentation. Too many switches and too little guidance. The system, as it stands, has been stable. Other than trying to find some software that will do a clean image copy, I think this is where it will stay. Everything seems to be pretty well protected. I am not sure whether PG is really needed, but I think that it closes some holes that the others may leave behind such as better keylogger protection. But maybe not.

Rich

5. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

The more you load up your system with 'security', the greater the potential there is for a clash and hence problems. When I was running on a basic AV/FW combo, and nothing else, my system was undoubtedly smoother - and I never got infected!

The trouble is, the threats we face nowadays are greater and I do feel that PG does add a valuable extra layer of protection. I will put up with some teething troubles because of that. But it can't be sensible to shove on every available app just because someone says it's good. If you can find one app that more or less does the work of two or three others, it's best to stick with the one. That is why I question loading up both Prevx and SSM. Probably it's best to arrange your overall defences so you only use one of these type of progs. :)

6. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

IMHO,you 'd do well to keep AP.Being "outdated" for such a programme isn't a problem.AP does one thing,rather simple in concept,that's why it's effective.I ve tried all (SSM,PrevX,PG),i like most SSM ,because you have real time knowledge of what's running on your PC,but it's a beta and some people have problems and also in the near future it won't be freeware anylonger.Personally,i 've stuck with AP.It's rock solid and never messed with my system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.