How is GhostSurf Platinum 2005?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by ghostsurg29, Dec 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghostsurg29

ghostsurg29 Guest

I am planning on purchaseing GhostSurf 2005 as an anonymizer proxy and I wonder how secure is it? Is it really annonymous? Does the company keeps logs?
    How is their anit-spyware catcher and cleaner?
    And how about their harddrive wiper?

Is it worth it and is it really secure?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

yes, ghostsurf does hide ur real ip address. if u really need an anonymizer, just get the standard version. all the other included products arent that great except for maybe adarmor. ghostsurf also encrypts ur connection for safe surfing and with a free download u can also increase the encryption strength from 56-bit to 1024-bit. tenebril offers trials of all their products, so u should try it for yourself and decide if its worth buying. btw to replace tenebrils's products u should get ad-aware se + spybot s&d (for spyware), window washer (for cleaning), and Active@ KillDisk (for wiping HDDs).

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Unless Tenebril have changed their product recently, GhostSurf does not encrypt the connection coming from your PC and therefore cannot be relied upon for providing anonymity from your ISP. See the Easy way to Block your Ip address thread for more details.

4. anti-spy

anti-spy Guest

Paranoid,

On the Ghostsurf website they clearly explain that you can encrypt the data going between your computer and their proxies (hubs) if you want to, so your ISP cannot read the data. Here's one example http://www.tenebril.com/kb/showitem.php?faq_id=261

Perhaps they're lying, but that would be false advertising. I have never actually tested their product(s), so I can't say one way or the other.

Do you know of some easy way to determine if the data going between your computer and their proxies is really encrypted? Thanks.

5. controler

controler Guest

In my opinon Spycatcher is better then MS Antispyware. I use Spysweeper also and can say Spycatcher found more nasties so far. Still waiting for a comprehensive test that someone should do :D They both have features the other doesn't. Spycatcher blocks phishing scams but they could use more sites in their database. I have contacted them about this. Spycatcher blocks reinstallation. I like that feature. To clean some nasties with Spysweeper, they recommend scanning three times in safe mode. (tine consuming) but they are helpful and will look at a Highjack this log for you. Tenibril doesn't offer as good of support.
    Tenibril don't show favorites when it comes to detecting software (DLL's ) included
    that connects to internet behind your back. Their software shows good info on a sites registrant,domain name, contact info, like online banks, to access your info. Supports anonymous instant messaging,news feeds and IRC
    Like I say, both have nice complimentry features the other doesn't

Bruce

6. anti-spy

anti-spy Guest

Original Poster,

Here's a link to the Tenebril knowledge base where they claim that they do not keep logs of any internet traffic with Ghostsurf. http://www.tenebril.com/kb/showitem.php?faq_id=271
    But if it's actually true, that's another story. ;)

7. controler

controler Guest

Here is how it works with Tenibril's GhostSurf Platinum

Normal - Your standard internet connection is used.

Anonymous - Personal info ( cookies ) are blocked. Web sites can't track you.

Invisible - Personal info is blocked and your data is routed through anonymous hubs (hiding your IP address)

Secure - Personal info and your IP are blocked and all data is encrypted to prevent spying.

Here is a traffic report in secure mode just going to MSN.

I chose only a small portion of that report for one encrypted request.

I am able to login here without adding this site to special sites list while in secure mode.

GhostSurf allowed this request to be sent to the internet but it removed the info in the request that could tell what type of computer you are using or what website you visited last.

GhostSurf routed the request through it's anonymous internet connection which hides your IP address from web site operator.

GhostSurf also encrypted your data so anyone watching your internet connection (either someone at your work or someone working for your ISP)
    could not see what site you are surfing or what you are viewing there.

this was taken from only one GEt request.

Now about the wipe funtion. It works as good as Eraser does.

I surf in secure mode and if a site I trust needs access, I simply add it to the special sites list on the same window. very easy interface.

8. controler

controler Guest

These are included in their latest defs.
    Please chack out PowerReg Scheduler. This confirms what I say about behind your back under method of infection. Powerqwest is mentioned. We all know many others.

http://www.tenebril.com/src/index.php

Bruce

9. B.Johnson

B.Johnson Guest

Does anyone know if there is a one time fee for Ghostsurf or a yearly fee to use the basic Ghostsurf 2005? Thank you.

10. controler

controler Guest

It is not a one time fee but when they offer a new version
    Like say GhostSurf 2006 they will usualy offer an upgrade for like 20 bucks.
    That is well worth it in my mind.

Bruce

11. Paranoid2000

This does look to be an improvement from their previous FAQ GhostSurf Pro 2.1 - Does GhostSurf use SSL encryption for all transmission? which, in my view, was somewhat devious in suggesting that encryption was used when it was not. In fact, according to Tenebril's press release this is a new feature of GhostSurf 2005.

However it should be noted that this encryption is not enabled by default and Tenebril do not give details of the algorithm used, so it could be (a) an insecure or weak algorithm or (b) a strong algorithm but with weaknesses in implementation allowing for an easier compromise. From the security aspect therefore, it cannot be considered equal to open source anonymizers like JAP or Tor - and it does not seem to offer the mix-net chained proxy setup that these do. However JAP/Tor do impose a significant performance penalty so GhostSurf may be an option to consider (along with other commercial anonymizers) for those who value speed more.
    Using a packet sniffer like Ethereal or the Socket Spy feature of Port Explorer would allow you to check data leaving your computer.

12. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

And good luck if you ever want to get it off your system . Everything may seem fine but , certain software will pick up on a hook left behind that cannot be removed . Finally did a reformat . What a pain . Never have I seen this behaviour from any other software . Not this bad anyway .

13. Paranoid2000

Perhaps you should consider adding Total Uninstall to that arsenal of security software in your sig? ;) While version 3 is not cheap ($29), version 2.35 is free and functionally identical (better configured in my view since version 3 appears to have rather too many Registry keys excluded by default).

It takes "before" and "after" snapshots of the Windows registry and file system so will pick up on all changes made by a program install (you need to run the program itself though since many create further entries at this point) However it will also flag changes by other software during that period so it is more suited to advanced users who can identify which did what. Installs involving Windows restarts will add a lot of Registry alterations that have to be filtered out.

Tiny firewall has a "track and reverse" function that should be able to handle uninstalls more efficiently but Tiny does have its own overheads...

14. memory dude

memory dude Guest

Just an aside, I downloaded some trial software of something recently that made me check a mark saying I would not use an uninstaller while **installing** this program. What was that all about? My guess was that Total Uninstaller and programs like them allow for the removal and reinstallation when the demo period expires. Is that probably why? It threw me for a loop and then I decided that was probably the reason. A little paranoid I thought. Are a lot of programs asking this in their EULA's?

15. Paranoid2000

That's one possibility - another one is that the software may leave registry entries behind intentionally after being removed normally. This could be to stop reinstallation of trial versions but could also be ad/spyware leaving programs behind to continue monitoring your system. I would (dis)regard such conditions with suspicion...

16. controler

controler Guest

I don't know the algo for their encryption but am sure we can ask.
    It is funny how I have asked developers questions like that in the past and the reply was always, oh dear we need to kep it secrect, until I direct them to Wilders.

I am thinking I was one of the first uses of Jap. Didn't like it that well.
    I didn't use the old GhostSurf very long either but I don't notice much of a speed reduction using the new vesion on high.

I also tried TotalUninstall and didn't like it all that well.
    Paranoid? could you try one of my fav programs and tell me what it finds that TotalUninstall didn't remove?
    Registrycrawler
    http://www.4developers.com/
    I think you may be suprised as to what is left behind.
    All you need to do with the program is search the registry with common words used by the software like KAV, Kaspersky ect

Like I say, I really didn't like the OLD GhostSurf at all but have grwon attached to this new version.

Would like to see a bit better support though. I know you are asking, does GhostSurf work with Firefox? Well yes it does. :D

Here is another uninstaller I was curious about. Anybody tried it out yet?

http://www.zsoft.dk/index.php?goto=software_details&prog_id=4

Bruce

17. budfox

budfox Guest

Ghostsurf has a new version of their spyware killer, think its 3.5, and its crap. It throws off so many false positives. Things like you firewall and antivirus with come up as spyware.

As for the proxy surfing...Its pretty fast for a proxy server. Here is the bad part. You must give proxy.exe unrestricted firewall rights which leads to a problem. Under this config, it will allow IE, firefox to leak. For me, I set IE to prompt on communication since I dont use it much and I think its a risk to leave IE to allow communication. With ghostsurf running, even if you tell your firewall to not allow IE to communicate, the proxy.exe will allow a circumvention of the firewall. When I figured this out, I got rid of Ghostsurf and now I use Anonymizer Total Shield. You dont need to give total shield unrestricted comm, so it passed the leak tests.. You have to pay +/- 80 a year for Anon, but I believe that it is worth it over Ghost.

Netop, PG, TDS-3, Kav Anti, SafeNSecure, TotalShild, PestPatrol, SpyBotSnD,

18. controler

controler Guest

Budfox?

I don't know what firewall you use but I use Look&Stop
    and Have not had issues. Even if I did, I could count on Phantom or Frederic
    to help. Where there is a will, there is a way.

I am sorry you don't like to encrypt your data or does your program do that ?

When you talk about GhostSurf Platinum, you are not just talking about
    A spyware, anonymizer. But of course you knew that allready. It has the active X block, popup, Data vault ( encrypts the data) ect. Not bad for one peice of software if you ask me.
    If you would have read posts, you would see I use many other programs also
    And yes unlike many, I have actualy used them on nasties and reported
    those not found to the various developers.

Why do you post as a guest?

Bruce

19. Paranoid2000

There are many developers that try this "security through obscurity" approach and it never works. If they have are using a strong well-tested algorithm then they should be happy to advertise it so I would generally take the "we need to keep it secret" response as a sure-fire indication that the developers are not taking security seriously and are betraying their paying customers in the process.

In the case of an anonymity service, it is access to proxy servers and bandwidth that is the main benefit being offered so the vendor should be able to go as far as open-sourcing the client software they use.
    RegCrawler doesn't appear to offer anything over RegEdit in terms of search/replace (though it does claim to be a lot faster). I would agree that most software does leave far too many entries behind which is why I now use Total Uninstall to monitor every installation (which is also useful for catching out software that changes system settings or places files in system folders).

It will pick up on all changes but you do need to filter out those done by other programs so it is better suited to technical users - see the Some questions regarding total uninstall.. thread for more details. Note also that Total Uninstall is not a registry cleaner - it will only remove changes for installs that it has monitored.
    By the looks of their webpage, this is a beta and trying to access their forum returns a 404 error. Since the real "uninstall" feature is a new addition (the previous version simply was an alternate interface for Add/Remove Programs!), I'd be somewhat wary about using this outside of a test environment and it does not seem to offer anything new over Total Uninstall.

Budfox,

It is important to use a firewall that offers full control over local proxy server access. Sygate has a problem with this but most other firewalls should allow you to restrict access to proxy.exe (you may have a default rule allowing unrestricted access to 127.0.0.1 - remove this if you have).

20. controler

controler Guest

I was able to access the forum there and think I am one of 4 membes now LOL

It appears he uses a registry dump before install and before uninstall.

When you say RegEdit, are you refering to the one that comes with Windows?

If so, there isn't even a comparison.
    between the two.

Bruce

21. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Thanks P2K !
    I do use a registry cleaner and go to deep scan but , it still left something behind . I may , INDEED , try your advice . As I stated though , it has only happened once . Thank you kind sir

22. budfox

budfox Registered Member

Give anonyzimer total net shield a try. I had many problems updating certain spyware/ antivirus programs with GS 2005 where I had to turn it off. I have had no such problems with anonymizer. Fairly happy with the speed of anon, although I think GS runns a bit faster. Lastly, anon has no cookie blockers, but I have taken care of that with cookie culler (firefox), and with daily scans of counter spy.

23. SPEEDY6128

SPEEDY6128 Registered Member

Hi there, I have tried quite a few of the Anonymous internet apps, but currently I use Ghostsurf 2005 and think its a top notch app, its defently the fastest proxy app out there. I also use Get Anonymous Professional with it as well as it also is a top notch app as well. I have them both connected to one another to create a proxy chain. My internet connection is still pretty fast when both are set up. It does slow down quite abit though when you select encypted settings. I set Get Anonymous Professional at a setting just enough to hide my IP. And then i do all the controlling from ghostsurf 2005, which i tend to leave at the same settings as Get Anonymous, sometimes i use the encrpted connection at 1024 encryption. You only have to go to places like "Sheilds Up" to test how Anonymous you become when you use apps like these. Its a great feeling knowing that your more or less totally invisable. Hope this helps you decide.

regards kev

24. SPEEDY6128

SPEEDY6128 Registered Member

by the way, both apps are one time fees for life time use of the products

25. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

Well I have been using GhostSurf for a few weeks now and have found that it is probably the fastest anonymous proxy out there. To work problem free though, you need to have GhostSurf running all the time - changing the default Ghostsurf settings causes problems though, so if you go with GhostSurf best to go all the way.

Don't get me wrong, Ghostsurf is probably a great tool, but too many of it's features rely on it running the show. If you are happy with that great. Trying to use it a secondary software has caused me problems of McAfee v Norton scale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.